400+ HP from scratch

marcopolo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm....

I have a s/c zed and spent a lot of money getting to the stage I'm at now.... (nurrish's old vortech).

I think my conclusion on everything is... if I were to go back now and wanted a faster car.... doing an N/A conversion is simply just not cost effective. A friend of mine owns a 996 turbo and because it's twin turbo from the factory, you can tweak it very easily to produce big power without risk of compromise to the engine. It comes as 4wd from the factory so there are no traction issues. You can get a nice one for around £25k nowadays.

Anyway I'm very happy with my zed. I like the fact that it is unique. It makes a VERY nice noise on WOT.... the bypass valve has everyones heads turning and it's RWD which is great! :cloud9:

Not sure if I'll ever selll it... I'll probably hang on to it until I need four seats then I plan to get a GT-R and keep the zed as a track toy.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd buy that twin turbo Zed that someone linked on pistonheads earlier...... oh wait, i did :teeth:

Incedentally i've also owned a R33 & R34 GTR (34 made 560bhp too) and i genuinely prefer my TT Zed. Although my old 34 is probably worth more now than i sold it for 2 years ago, safe to say thats not going to happen with my Zed.

GTR is a great car to own but i found it just a little to linear & uninvolving. Although strangly my R33 was more enjoyable than my R34?? Running costs are also quite high & you wont be able to help modding it & you'll soon end up in the realms of new turbo's & forged engines which gets real expensive real quick.

i'd buy that twin turbo Zed that someone linked on pistonheads earlier...... oh wait, i did :teeth:

Incedentally i've also owned a R33 & R34 GTR (34 made 560bhp too) and i genuinely prefer my TT Zed. Although my old 34 is probably worth more now than i sold it for 2 years ago, safe to say thats not going to happen with my Zed.

GTR is a great car to own but i found it just a little to linear & uninvolving. Although strangly my R33 was more enjoyable than my R34?? Running costs are also quite high & you wont be able to help modding it & you'll soon end up in the realms of new turbo's & forged engines which gets real expensive real quick.

I've gone the other way, FI Z to a R34 GTR. Already spent a load on parts for it & the car hans't even arrived yet :lol:

I know its easier to buy a Z already boosted but I prefer to build it myself. Atleast then I know its been done right, I know exactly whats been done to it & the satisfaction of seeing a stack of parts on bedroom floor turn into something that actually works :teeth:

Yeah totally agree mate, in the past I've built most of my cars myself.

Obviously it's the more expensive option but as you said you know exactly what work & parts have gone into it. Plus there's the sense of satisfaction from building something special yourself!

I only bought the TT Zed as I was looking for one & it seemed a great deal at a good price & seems well built, but only time will tell!

R34 GTR is an amazing machine, you won't be dissapointed. I can't think of another 10+ year old car that looks & feels so fresh even today or what that has held it's value so well either.

I sold mine when I started getting into drifting a bit more seriously and couldn't justify having or building a specced drift car, a £30k toy & a daily.

Had I not got into drifting I'd probably still have the GTR.... there are certainly days I regret selling it. Although I didn't lose any money on it's value in nearly 2 years.

Is your GTR standard?

Yeah totally agree mate, in the past I've built most of my cars myself.

Obviously it's the more expensive option but as you said you know exactly what work & parts have gone into it. Plus there's the sense of satisfaction from building something special yourself!

I only bought the TT Zed as I was looking for one & it seemed a great deal at a good price & seems well built, but only time will tell!

R34 GTR is an amazing machine, you won't be dissapointed. I can't think of another 10+ year old car that looks & feels so fresh even today or what that has held it's value so well either.

I sold mine when I started getting into drifting a bit more seriously and couldn't justify having or building a specced drift car, a £30k toy & a daily.

Had I not got into drifting I'd probably still have the GTR.... there are certainly days I regret selling it. Although I didn't lose any money on it's value in nearly 2 years.

Is your GTR standard?

Yeah its all good my man!

Just fitted & setup the coilovers & added a carbon front lip & rear diffuser, Pretty happy with how it looks!

Where would be the relevant place to put a progress thread?