Back in a Zed again (Update and pics p3)

Keyser

videos # get one of those cheapo 10€ jobbies stick it with, it's nice and 'hidden' so will probably not be noticeable ;) even stick it under the reg plate rear. or get a spy cam, got a setup thats for sale at the moment that you could hide behind the regplate if you so wanted. :thumbs: I'm going to get a pro hd camera once I've invoiced for last months work :snack: that is that type suction one though so maybe no good for you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on your purchase mate :teeth:

You've definitely gone about it the right way getting one already done, unless you have money to burn that is. I did the same when I got mine, I would have loved getting my hands dirty and building one myself but just could not justify the cost. As you said those that 'build' a car by handing over a wad of cash to someone else to do the work surely can't really claim that they built it anyway and is a very expensive way to do things. But I do appreciate that not everyone is into spannering and for those it's really the only option.

I know your gonna love owning and driving your FI'd zed, I know just how your feeling as I did when I got mine :) If it weren't for FI I would never have had a 350z as the n/a just didn't do it for me and I would have missed out on owning a truly great car. :clap:

Just out of interest, are you actually getting belt slip? It shouldn't really be an issue if your running the 3.33 pulley, which I thought you were. Or are you just making sure by adding the extra idler wheel?

Congratulations on your purchase mate :teeth:

You've definitely gone about it the right way getting one already done, unless you have money to burn that is. I did the same when I got mine, I would have loved getting my hands dirty and building one myself but just could not justify the cost. As you said those that 'build' a car by handing over a wad of cash to someone else to do the work surely can't really claim that they built it anyway and is a very expensive way to do things. But I do appreciate that not everyone is into spannering and for those it's really the only option.

I know your gonna love owning and driving your FI'd zed, I know just how your feeling as I did when I got mine :) If it weren't for FI I would never have had a 350z as the n/a just didn't do it for me and I would have missed out on owning a truly great car. :clap:

Just out of interest, are you actually getting belt slip? It shouldn't really be an issue if your running the 3.33 pulley, which I thought you were. Or are you just making sure by adding the extra idler wheel?

Have you been reading my other posts? I mentioned the same thing about paying someone to do the work in that.

I do love driving it especially the noise in 2nd and 3rd gear as she sits down and powers away the problem is the noise comes in after the speed limit has gone! :surrender:

So I do have to be very careful!

Belt slip - O Yes, I get the Vortech squeal on startup the worse the squeal the worse the smell of unburnt fuel ?! This is well document on my350z and Steady had told me about it.

After that it depends sometimes its 3 - 5 seconds and thats it for the rest of the drive othertimes it seems to still slip when you go from little or no throttle to wide open quickly other times like today nothing quiet as you like (in as much as an SC is quiet bypass valve and S/C whine not withstanding).

Steady had a mod done 2 pinch rollers either side of the belt just before the jack pulley, again an idea used in the states where SC is a lot more common. The only down side of this is that it changes the angle of the belt up a few degrees and this means the belt rubs the cam cover (only just but it does rub) may attack the cover with a dremmel :scare:.

Not a problem running her she seems to run fine and Steady drove her 500miles the day I got her (I did a good few more on the test drive), Its just annoying when you start it in a car park I feel like I need to tell everyone its not broken its supercharged :lol:

As I say not a problem but I do think there is room for improvement (before I fit the 2.82 pulley :evil::scare: )

Out of intrest whats yous like to start? Mine has never not started but it turns over very slowly in comparison to my N/A Zed.

I haven't owned an n/a Z to compare it to, but I can't say I've noticed it being slow to turn over. Mine did have a new battery not long before I bought it so maybe that helps. I have read that they can be slow due to the extra load of the s/c.

I very occasionally get a half second squeal from the belt on a really cold day but never more than that.

Jealous now :lol:

MOT Guy said - get a new battery that one is on the way out - could be onto something here :lol:

May just be the belt needs a bit more tension on it I think its fairly new - at least mileage wise so it may have stretched a bit?

I am being cautious as I have read you can damage the bearings by over tightening the belt.

Don't want to do something silly and damage it.

Steady if your about any words of wisdom?

MOT Guy said - get a new battery that one is on the way out - could be onto something here :lol:

:lol: I see a pattern forming.

May just be the belt needs a bit more tension on it I think its fairly new - at least mileage wise so it may have stretched a bit?

I am being cautious as I have read you can damage the bearings by over tightening the belt.

Don't want to do something silly and damage it.

Yeah I believe they need tightening from time to time especially when new. They tighten up a lot when warm so you don't wanna over-tighten it when cold. A tiny squeak on start-up occasionally is fine.

I think mine has well finished stretching as I don't think its ever been replaced! :surrender: Something on my list of things to do. I just wish you could buy parts for these things over here! I would have replaced them long ago :dry: It took nearly 4 weeks for me to get a new oil feed nozzle for it when mine cracked! :bang:

You can get belts can't you?

I'm OK Steady gave me a box of bits including a new belt, air filter Berks HFC's etc etc :thumbs:

and I just found this on my350z.com

post-7883-135011906748_thumb.jpg

with the caption

"you have to machine down the cam cover just a tiny bit so the belt doesn't rub against it. use a file if you don't want to deal with pulling the cam cover off"

Thanks to the OP for that!

Same Mod as is on mine - it also appears my belt is way to lose from the first few bits I have read...... Grub now then more research is required I think. :thumbs:

You can get belts can't you?

I'm OK Steady gave me a box of bits including a new belt, air filter Berks HFC's etc etc :thumbs:

and I just found this on my350z.com

[attachment=0]cover2.jpg[/attachment]

with the caption

"you have to machine down the cam cover just a tiny bit so the belt doesn't rub against it. use a file if you don't want to deal with pulling the cam cover off"

Thanks to the OP for that!

Same Mod as is on mine - it also appears my belt is way to lose from the first few bits I have read...... Grub now then more research is required I think. :thumbs:

I haven't managed to source the belts over here yet. All the places I've been can get sizes either an inch longer or 1/2 inch shorter etc..... If you ever order anything form Vortech or Superchargers online (like belts or your new Pulley ;) ) Then let me know and it'll keep the postage costs down.

Yep have your dinner and get reading, I do it every couple of months, especially the Vortech FAQ I hate to think how many hours I've spent reading on there, but every time I do I learn something and find something else to check. Enjoy :snack:

... I repeat, hand it over to abbey or the like ;)

It will be going to one of the esteemed traders on here very soon but I knew the belt was rubbing and I am more than competent to angle grind a hole in one of my engine covers :lol:

Gotta keep costs down where I can, I've got an oil cooler to save for :scare:

No harm in reading about it, makes me feel less on idiot when I don't have to Google every other word in a quote or post about FI < just Googled that :lol::p:lol:

Edit - Suprised I was not picked up for 2.82 pulley when we all know its 2.87 ;)

Nice to see you enjoying the Zed Chris and good to see its still in the hands of an enthusiast - thats 4 straight Zed forum members from when this Zed was brand new now.

Enjoy the trackday - that Zed really comes into its own on track - the Teins (don't forget the EDFC damper settings ), Nismo ARBs, PF discs and DS2500pads, JWT clutch & flywheel, R888's and Kaaz diff (turn off traction control) are particularly effective not to mind the SC's considerable extra power - however as per Anders keep an eye on the oil temps - my next mod was gonna be an oil cooler - bring her in on a cooldown lap once it hits 120 degrees.You'll never see high oil temps on the road but on track a thermostatic oil cooler would be important for any extended running.

Thanks mate :thumbs:

I don't use traction control any more :blush: Strart car turn of Traction - I get the TC light on the dash at low speed tight turns if I leave it on and she has such good grip on the R888's it's not been a problem. I found out last night that a mate of mine is now a Toyo importer/distributer so that's handy :) I was fixing his PC and asked as he had an email address of info@toyo888.net (bit of give away) :lol: He did say order early 888's are like hens teeth! :surrender:

Mod wise - after some research -I'm getting quotes sorted to remove the UTEC and have an uprev remap (with Berks HFC due to the law change next year) and the addition of an oil cooler, we are also looking at changing the SC Pulley arangement to further reduce slip, or a bit of work with a dremmel :scare: to stop the belt rubbing when the pinch rollers are adjusted all the way.

Will let you all know how the Track day goes and I'm sure when Captain goes flying past (he knows the track) he will be posting Vids of it for months!

Still looking at video cameras for me at the moment - just worried as I was told Castle Combe do not allow sucker type mounts anymore?

:thumbs:

Ha bloody ha! If I go "flying past" you then call the ambulance 'cos I ain't coming home.................. :drive1

No suckers or hand-helds at Castle Combe. Fixed internals or externals. My £10 jobby is gaffer-taped to the front tow-bar or under the rear hatch release. :lol::lol:

.........Steady if your about any words of wisdom?

I replaced the battery less than a year ago so its not the battery. I also did not experience a slow turnover. As the Zed was not my DD I always kept it in the garage on a trickle (maintenance) charger so the battery was always fully charged on startup. Perhaps try fully charging the battery especially now it hasn't been driven much recently what with it being off the road.

On the belt slip - it can be annoying on cold startup but again as I kept the Zed in the garage the squeel only lasted a couple of seconds. Perhaps with the months on sitting in my garage and then the long drive the belt has loosened itself - maybe check the tension.

As per Anders it would certainly be no harm to let Abbey have a look at the Zed if only to put your mind to rest if it was only to do a rolling road and let them have a cursory look over the Zed.

.........Steady if your about any words of wisdom?

I replaced the battery less than a year ago so its not the battery. I also did not experience a slow turnover. As the Zed was not my DD I always kept it in the garage on a trickle (maintenance) charger so the battery was always fully charged on startup. Perhaps try fully charging the battery especially now it hasn't been driven much recently what with it being off the road.

On the belt slip - it can be annoying on cold startup but again as I kept the Zed in the garage the squeel only lasted a couple of seconds. Perhaps with the months on sitting in my garage and then the long drive the belt has loosened itself - maybe check the tension.

As per Anders it would certainly be no harm to let Abbey have a look at the Zed if only to put your mind to rest if it was only to do a rolling road and let them have a cursory look over the Zed.

Thanks mate :thumbs:

It has been parked on the drive for the best part of 2 weeks with lots of start stop - in and out at the MOT place that had it for 4 days

O and I plugged the alarm back in :blush:

As I say it has not failed to start once since I had it it just "seems slow" compared to the last one prolly just me :dry:

She will be in soon for UPRev so will get a good once over then as well and they can advise on belt tension I think its a bit loose but don't want to over tighten it.