Recommended gear changes...

coldel

Next time I'm bored I wont read the online manual!

Always a good top gear test, pull away in 3rd and see how fast you can go from standing start without changing gear.

Interesting post above about Americans proving that labouring an engine in 6th does less damage than revving the nuts of it at 6500+ - I would therefore conclude that doing neither is the sensible option?

I just drive around with my revs never going outside of 1500-5000 revs - simples.

I pull off in 6th is this okay?

epic :lol::lol:

:scare: thats mad :lol:

On my 3rd clutch so far this year.

But in all seriousness my car seems to cruise fine at 30 in 6th, aslong as its flat and im not planning on doing any acceleration for a while.

Are any of you aware that an engine is under more strain at lower RPMs and particularly at idle,

the whole valve train is under the most strain at idle and low RPM.

If you then add the drive train into the equation, and then add in the inertial shock resulting from continually making small throttle adjustments to a 1.5 ton brick thats attached, not to mention the effects on fuel consumption.

Gear ratios are there for a reason, to make the best use of the engine power to match the road speed required.

Seriously, my last comment stands, i would expect this from the Americans, as they all drive autos on straight roads, and wouldn't understand a gear ratio even if battered with it :wacko: you should all buy diesels, if you want to drive around at low RPM and high gear.

You better get on the phone to Nissan as "It recommends shifting into 6th gear at 33mph"

LOL!Yeah i know! and why do you think that is, just like a lot of manufactures, they provide these nice tips on driving their cars, so as soon as the warranty runs out you will be lining their pockets with what you spend on repairs, or even new cars, they don't want their cars to last past the mechanical warranty period ;)

They want to sell you new cars, not keep the old.

You better get on the phone to Nissan as "It recommends shifting into 6th gear at 33mph"

LOL!Yeah i know! and why do you think that is, just like a lot of manufactures, they provide these nice tips on driving their cars, so as soon as the warranty runs out you will be lining their pockets with what you spend on repairs, or even new cars, they don't want their cars to last past the mechanical warranty period ;)

Or, like I do in my job we test the transmission and engine for the upper and lower limits of proper operation and write them in the manual. The testing that goes into an engine and gearbox combination is huge, making up a figure at the end of it seems unlikely.

Or, like I do in my job we test the transmission and engine for the upper and lower limits of proper operation and write them in the manual. The testing that goes into an engine and gearbox combination is huge, making up a figure at the end of it seems unlikely.

I haven't suggested that Nissan made up their figures, just that i strongly suspect there are hidden agendas,

all other intellectual reasons aside,I still dispute that driving at 30MPH in 6th gear is good practise.

In the diesel X-Trail I always change up at 2000 rpm and tend to cruise at 1200-1500 rpm - best fuel consumption that way (45 mpg from a 2.2 DCi)

In the 350, I find the best fuel consumption actually comes from keeping in the 2500-3000 rpm range, so I stick to the 10 mph for each gear rule (and usually average around 28-29 mpg). At 30 I would always be in third.

That's the difference between diesels and petrols in my opinion.

My Zed beeps at me if I go for 7th below 45mph, not sure about 6th :blush::lol:

Zed engines are torquey little feckers, you'll be supprised by how much more torque you have at idle compared to many cars - my Zed measured over 200ftlbs from idle. The '70 is quite happy pootling along in AT at 1500RPM. Given it knows when to shift (because Nissan programmed it!) I'd be highly supprised if driving around at 1500-2000RPM is damaging anything.

However you do need to be able to accelerate when required, so that can affect gear selection. Again with the 7AT it can grab a gear quicker than me, so I am happy if I boot it we will be off.

In my golf tdi id used to always be in 6th at around 40mph and you can happily slowly build up the speed to 60 or 70mph. I used to always get around the 60mpg mark out of it.

With the zed I was supprised just how much torque it has and how comfortable it is at low speeds in high gears. My commute into work is about 75% on the motorways, but when i come into town i usually am still in 6th doing 30->40mph without any problems. I tend to drop it to 4th or 5th if i need to accelerate, but it will happily cruise in 6th at those sort of speeds, which I think is around 1000rpm on the rev counter.