The difference between pre facelift and facelift

SteveRS

Is there a noticeable difference in power between the pre facelift zed and a facelift? Having previously owned a facelift zed, I'm now looking for another 350z, was wondering if I went for a pre facelift whether it would seem slower than the facelift. :)

It's marginal to be fair. During the Wales trip there was every variety, modified, un-modified, stock with varying models, all of which kept up with each other with no issues (although forget keeping up with Sam's supercharged version).

If you are fussy about power you'll need to go FI, or maybe select the HR model which is likely to be more improved than the previous models.

I went for a 06 plate and the mods I fitted don't make as good gains as the older DE (pre 06). Select the HR version and your mods will show good gains also.

Like I say, if you want to see a sizeable power difference go FI, if not they are pretty much all the same, all depends on your exterior and interior preferences. :thumbs:

Its all down to personal preference I think. Mines the HR engine, so the last one (and most powerful i think) of the ones they put in the 350z. From what ive read up, the older cars with the lower powered engines are easier to get more results out of and you can get them upto 300bhp or so fairly easily with exhaust, air filters, plenum etc... But then again, the HR comes with over 300bhp or so as stock. But then on the flip side, you pay more for an stock HR model.

Depending on what the 2nd hand prices are, it may well be cheaper to buy an older model, add the mods to it, compared to getting a newer one.

I know looking at what I paid for mine, I could have easily bought an older coupe model for half the price I paid for mine, I then could have mod`d it and still have had plenty of spare change.

I think it really depends on what cars you find for sale and whether or not you like the look of them, and what you plan on doing to them. My HR has the GT pack and came with the brembo`s and rays wheels for example. Whereas, had i bought an early imported zed, id probably have to budget to replace the brakes & wheels to something else.

Styling wise, there really isnt too much in it between facelift and non facelift, certainly not enough to swing it either way for me based purely on bodywork / interior.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Good to know that there isn't a great deal of difference.

I've seen both facelift and pre facelift zeds that I like(has to have nismo kit) the only issue I have with the pre facelift is the headlights rear lights and the interior. I much prefer the interior of the facelift. I'm really fussy and something like that can sometimes stop me buying a car. Obviously I can change the headlights and rear lights, but that comes at a price.

Pre facelift is more appealing for road tax reasons but is cancelled out by the changes I would make to the look of the car.

If it was me I'd go for the HR model then. The DE 06 is great, but not as great with adding mods to increase power over that of the pre-06 and post 06. Again it's marginal by a few hp here and there, but as you say interior is much improved, and the LED rear lights do make for a nice look :thumbs:

(The 06 model also has the velocity stack imrpovement in the airbox)

Hardly any difference at all.

+1, but having had both the 276 and 296 engined 350's I would say in standard form the torque characteristics of the 276 engine is better suited to the ZED for everyday road use.