Belts need changing?

chrisgunton

Ello,

Bought the car in December, not sure about it's service history but has passed it's most recent MOT and had a health check by Nissan and passed with flying colours.

But I noticed when checking the oil that the belts looked worn...

fr654size580.jpg

It's got 42k on the clock. Should I get it serviced? With a missing service book I'm not sure what level it needs.

Advice?

If you have no proof that they have been changed at 42k then change them. The recommended time varies from one site to another. A P3 service should have shown up any issues of wear, I would check the paperwork for this.

ZMANALEX is selling the two belts at around £29ish, its any easy enough DIY job and there is a good guide attached that shows the whole process.

:thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16644&start=0

swap them out DIY style,

worth the small cost for reassuance and piece of mind, if it does snap you won't be happy and the cost of repairs will be a whole lot more than the belt costs

Why do you think the cost of repairing would be more expensive if the belts snap? The belts on the Z don't drive the camshaft so you're not looking at bent valves or dented piston heads. Power steering would fail but not cause a repair unless through lack of steering you write the car off. Water pump failure but you would have stopped the car because of the power steering issue so not a big probability of over-heating. The battery light would also come on because the alternator isn't being driven. For the other belt you would miss the air conditioning but still no costly repairs to be had.

I'm not an expert by any means so maybe I missed something out?

DIY job is easy, if you have ramps or axle stands and a simple socket set and providing the bolts on the undertray aren't seized. I didn't have any problems with my bolts though and haven't heard of any such problems. If you are mechanically inclined then certainly go DIY. You'll also realise how easy it is to do your own oil changes. Before you know it, you'll be changing the plugs too. Then you'll wonder why you pay Nissan hundreds of squids for a P3!