insurance variability..

rob d

Well, the renewal is due so here we go again.. RAC wanted to renew with the policy going UP by£6 to £720.

So much surfing aboot to sky and chris knott - both higher. Then to compare the ferret.com where it dropped to £590. Now we are talking,,,BUT

money supermarket got me down to £599 with full legal /courtesy /full euro cover etc etc etc so on the phone to Admiral where it dropped another £40 :thumbs:

Well appr :#1:

Possibly not a point of discussion , more along the lines for info for others. :D

You have done well there, I recently wrote a blog on insurance if you fancy a look at it:

http://clippingtheapex.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/reassurance-on-insurance-please/

Setting aside my ranting at the end there are some interesting numbers in there I gleaned from the AA Insurance Index which came out in March. I am a little nervous about my renewal in October I must admit!

I have heard about this, a few people mentioned it at the Grasshopper meet a few weeks back. I might buy a £200 car to save on the insurance :lol:

Seriously though probably will be getting a second car when we move, so a distinct possibility.

If you have a second car and go for Admiral multicar policy, these are unbelievably cheap on both cars - I would seriously consider doing this if you have another car in the household.

:thumbs: am currently insuring 3 cars with them including the Z and you would not believe how cheap the fully comp insurance was on all of them... will see what happens next year when it comes to renewal though

You have done well there, I recently wrote a blog on insurance if you fancy a look at it:

http://clippingtheapex.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/reassurance-on-insurance-please/

Setting aside my ranting at the end there are some interesting numbers in there I gleaned from the AA Insurance Index which came out in March. I am a little nervous about my renewal in October I must admit!

I'm a little nervous too! :dots:

If you have a second car and go for Admiral multicar policy, these are unbelievably cheap on both cars - I would seriously consider doing this if you have another car in the household.

:thumbs: am currently insuring 3 cars with them including the Z and you would not believe how cheap the fully comp insurance was on all of them... will see what happens next year when it comes to renewal though

And when it comes to renewal, all three cars will be up at the same time. So easy to do a price comparison for all three vs the multicar policy - no?

I have heard about this, a few people mentioned it at the Grasshopper meet a few weeks back. I might buy a £200 car to save on the insurance :lol:

Seriously though probably will be getting a second car when we move, so a distinct possibility.

An interesting question would be the following. Fully legal, does not contravene any regulations or anything like that.

Find a car on autotrader or wherever in the following spec - about 5-6 years old, tiny engine, insurance group 1, etc, etc. If you aim to buy the vehicle, you are fully entitled to purchase insurance for it. In fact, you can buy insurance for you to drive whatever it is you want; whether or not you actually happen to drive it is a whole other question.

Then go to Admiral and buy insurance for your zed & this other car that you will never buy anyway as part of a multicar policy, aiming to park it wherever is cheapest (on the street usually), doing 1,000 miles, adding your mum as an additional driver & whatever else you can think of. Chances are the total price will be less than the zed on its own. Bob's your uncle.

Funnily enough thats exactly what i have just done brought mine down and my misses down by over £400 in total.

So i am now £650 with protected no claims, extra personal cover, £250 excess. which i think is bloody impressive considering im only 25, and I have my missed who is 24 on the car aswell.

They brought her insurance down from £700+ with £800 excess to £400, £500 excess on her Mini Cooper s with me on it aswell.

Really chuffed. (with out protection mine would be sub £600 i am paying around £90 to protect but kind of figurered at my age its worth doing)

Funnily enough thats exactly what i have just done brought mine down and my misses down by over £400 in total.

So i am now £650 with protected no claims, extra personal cover, £250 excess. which i think is bloody impressive considering im only 25, and I have my missed who is 24 on the car aswell.

They brought her insurance down from £700+ with £800 excess to £400, £500 excess on her Mini Cooper s with me on it aswell.

Really chuffed. (with out protection mine would be sub £600 i am paying around £90 to protect but kind of figurered at my age its worth doing)

In my experience (and I'm an old fart too) - protecting your no claims is a con - I had a bump a fair few years back, no claims was protected but my premium went through the roof - go figure :rant:

In my experience (and I'm an old fart too) - protecting your no claims is a con - I had a bump a fair few years back, no claims was protected but my premium went through the roof - go figure :rant:

Ah, thats because whilst your discount is protected you still have to let them know about any accidents you have had - whether your fault or not - and they then automatically jack the premium up anyway to reflect that.

I paid £565. This is for a convertible, so this is always more than a tin top. I have 2 yrs no claims, 3 pts - sp30-. Wifey is insured to drive too. Her car is a camper van so admiral will not do mulkti car policy on campers, wouldnt do it on my bike either.....

I am 45 and live in somerset, dont know wether this is good for ins or not but gotta be better than knightsbridge or moss side :boxing:

All in all not bad.

I paid £565. This is for a convertible, so this is always more than a tin top. I have 2 yrs no claims, 3 pts - sp30-. Wifey is insured to drive too. Her car is a camper van so admiral will not do mulkti car policy on campers, wouldnt do it on my bike either.....

I am 45 and live in somerset, dont know wether this is good for ins or not but gotta be better than knightsbridge or moss side :boxing:

All in all not bad.

Yeah thats pretty good. Ive a convertible too, 18 years ncb and 3pnts. Me to drive only and mine was coming in at around 800quid. I live in middle of nowhere too.

mine dropped by adding the wife ! She drives it rarely as she does not want to bend my toy. She hasnt had an accident in a car since ..............ummmmmmmm.....ever !

I am doing a drive around europe ish in July and to add my mate is £20/week ! much cheapness.