Is my exhaust totally f****d?

DP7657

One month into ownership and my first "what's broken?" post. I knew the exhaust was on its way out, the join at the rear is quite heavily corroded (I understand this is a common issue and is not unexpected for a 7 year old Z).

Anyway, can anyone confirm that the sounds in this video are in fact the exhaust being f****d? The sound is quite clear I think, a spluttering, wheezing type noise which I assume is exhaust gas blowing out all over the place. (It has no correlation to speed and only occurs with the throttle pressed.)

Next, if it is, would people recommend getting the join welded again / replacing just the back piping / get a whole new exhaust OEM / scorpion? I'm not into mods yet other than minors but have heard a scorpion replacement will be similar to OEM but sounds a bit better. Does anyone have thoughts / know the impact that would have on my insurance (if any)?

Thanks very much for all responses,

Dan

Haha, yeah it was a bit strange sounding for the last week or so and then today it started to make 'splutter / cough' type noises too.

That's definitely the exhaust though isn't it? Japex will probably be seeing me again soon :)

Start it up and lay underneath and listen for where it's coming from. Common sense would tell you that. I reckon it's the rear weld and the back box. If it's further forward it would sound a lot rougher

Brilliant, thanks very much for all your replies.

Common sense did suggest that but it also told me not to go sticking my eyes near places with loose bits of corroded metal and hot gasses when I don't have a clue what's what!

The join was looking pretty close to the end of its shelf life last time I saw under the car so that's probably it then.

Thanks again all, I'll go have a look down there :)

Brilliant, thanks very much for all your replies.

Common sense did suggest that but it also told me not to go sticking my eyes near places with loose bits of corroded metal and hot gasses when I don't have a clue what's what!

The join was looking pretty close to the end of its shelf life last time I saw under the car so that's probably it then.

Thanks again all, I'll go have a look down there :)

just lay next to the car and get someone to slightly rev it , you will be able to pick where the noise is coming from and that should give you a pretty good idea what section is blowing.

sounds very much like that join going mate, i've been around a fair few and sounds identical to that :)

+1

run your finger around it and you will feel it straight away. Dont do this when the car is hot though as you may burn your fingers.

Right so, the rear join with the welded gaskets just before the back box actually moves (they will slide slightly with not too much force so clearly are not air tight!) so through my mechanical expertise I have decided that is where the noise is coming from.

The system is 7 years old and has done 46k miles, the front of the system including the Y section seems to be in decent shape, the rear is a bit rusty looking but also seems to have its integrity still. Just that weld that has gone to s**t.

Does anyone think I should try and get the join welded again with some new gaskets or replace back section with OEM / scorpion?

I'm not into serious mods yet but wouldn't mind a bit more of a cheeky sound which I hear the scorpion might provide, is it mainly the post Y section of the exhaust that produces most of the sound or is it the whole exhaust system from front to back?

It looks like it may have already been welded with all the "snotters" around the flange. Time for a new exhaust I think.

Tarmac's scorpion will be perfect for you by the sounds of things.