Aaarrrgh! help please

George Dredd

Hi guys, my zed seems to have developed a rattle between 4500-6000 rpm, when you are driving it sounds like it is coming from behind the dash, but if you put your head near the gear knob you can tell it is definatly coming from there, I tried while my mate drove and vice versa. It's not loud and it doesn't sound worrying but then again it could be bad so if anyone has any idea please let me know.

Thanks

I know very very little but I read on here a while ago of something possibly similar to this. There is apparently a bit of the gear stick that sometimes comes loose and vibrates / rattles?

Could it be that?

As I say, total novice but did read something similar last week.

I know what you are saying and it does sound like that but I have tried to tighten the gearknob and no joy. I tried lifting the gaiter and plastic surround to see anything still no joy, its quite difficult to pinpoint it in time as it doesn't take long to get through this part of the rev range at legal speeds.

cant you just sit there in neutral and hit the range you mention to give you more time?

I did try that in my back garden but it was so loud I couldn't do it for long enough because of the other residents, I'm sure it did not make the noise plus in neutral you don't get the feedback through the gearstick which is where I'm sure its coming from. It seems more of a vibration thing

I have the same - i thought it was something to do with the aircon or the heating system. I get the noise intermittently after about 30 mins of driving then seems to go away. Curious if anyone has an answer.

Mine only started today and doesn't seem to stop as I drove back from japfest it was still doing it when I was home, its not loud, it sounds a bit like a loose washer jingling around the gearstick, but there is not one there. I have an aftermarket gearknob that is quite small and there is a couple of inches of gearstick exposed.

:pmzmanalex::thumbs:

Why?

Lol, I know what your saying but I did anyway, just incase he has the answer.

poor guy is t :bangin: rying to wind things down, pming him when your car makes a noise doesnt help :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: everyone says :pmzmanalex: and :pmr35lee: for everything, you see it you do it :bangin:

Could also be something silly like the windscreen rubbing against the dash plastic. Can be a bit deceptive as to where it's coming from. If it's that, just required a few strips of high density foam popped in the gap. Should stop it.

*Really* try tightening the knob. I had the exact same problem, like a washer dingling at those sort of revs. I was convinced the gearbox was giving out but I tightened up the gear stick and the problem went away - and that was 10K miles ago.

To be clear, it wasn't the knob only, it was turning the entire gearstick.

Obviously don't force and break it, and apologies if you've already had a go and it didn't work.

*Really* try tightening the knob. I had the exact same problem, like a washer dingling at those sort of revs. I was convinced the gearbox was giving out but I tightened up the gear stick and the problem went away - and that was 10K miles ago.

To be clear, it wasn't the knob only, it was turning the entire gearstick.

Obviously don't force and break it, and apologies if you've already had a go and it didn't work.

I had a noise before when a bloke from halfrauds took my gearknob off and he didn't tighten it up properly, I tightened it, then it stopped. Now with my new gearknob my gaiter is quite loose and does not sit touching the bottom of the gearknob, so it could be that except if I try and rattle the gaiter myself scant get it to replicate the sound in the slightest.

How do I tighten the gearstick then?

Could also be something silly like the windscreen rubbing against the dash plastic. Can be a bit deceptive as to where it's coming from. If it's that, just required a few strips of high density foam popped in the gap. Should stop it.

It's definatly coming from the gearstick area, it just sounds like its coming from behind the dash until you put your ear close to everything

I had a very similar experience, is it a rattle or is it more like a buzzing or humming?

If it is a buzzing/humming sound then you probably need a gearbox oil change and wouldn't hurt to put some molyslip in also.

Hopefully just a bit of loose trim of or bolt or washer somewhere though :thumbs:

I had a very similar experience, is it a rattle or is it more like a buzzing or humming?

If it is a buzzing/humming sound then you probably need a gearbox oil change and wouldn't hurt to put some molyslip in also.

Hopefully just a bit of loose trim of or bolt or washer somewhere though :thumbs:

No its definatly not a humming/buzzing. If you can imagine a loose washer around a bolt vibrating, that's what I would say it sounds like.

Does anyone know if you can remove the rubber thing under the gaiter that is cover in cotton wool like stuff? Again does anyone know how to tighten the gearstick not the gearknob? Thanks

My mate said he thinks it could be the exhaust that needs tightening as it makes the noise in all gears, but would this be so noticeable around the gearstick if it was the exhaust?

I might try putting the oem gearknob back on to see if its something to do with that.

No its definatly not a humming/buzzing. If you can imagine a loose washer around a bolt vibrating, that's what I would say it sounds like.

Does anyone know if you can remove the rubber thing under the gaiter that is cover in cotton wool like stuff? Again does anyone know how to tighten the gearstick not the gearknob? Thanks

Nothing special, literally grab the knob and twist it tighter. If this is the problem you will be able to turn it by hand. If it doesn't move then don't take any tools to it as hand power is enough to tighten it, you don't want to break anything.

Worst comes to the worst it isn't the hardest job to drop the box on these cars if you have to, but equally if you take the gaitors and trim off you may be able to access the selector mechanism from the top? Dunno, that's one more for the people who have done it :blush: