AT/Tiptronic Question - My Zed

Leenx

Morning all,

Sounds crazy and I've never noticed this before but when say I am at a junction on quite a steep slope and the car is in drive (D) on the AT/triptronic gearbox if I don't keep certain revs up the car begins to slide backwards. Now I thought with AT transmission in general this shouldn't be the case? Anyone else got this? is this the norm anyone know? :headhurt:

Cheers all

Morning all,

Sounds crazy and I've never noticed this before but when say I am at a junction on quite a steep slope and the car is in drive (D) on the AT/triptronic gearbox if I don't keep certain revs up the car begins to slide backwards. Now I thought with AT transmission in general this shouldn't be the case? Anyone else got this? is this the norm anyone know? :headhurt:

Cheers all

sorry cant help with the Zed , but I have an auto Ford Explorer 4WD and on a steep hill this does the same, in fact if I remember I had a Mercedes that was just the same :)

Not sure about the 350z transmission, but i know the Z28 (camaro) doesnt do this as the hill start is excellent. However in practice, if the hill is steep enough, im sure it will roll a bit backwards as therre is in theory no "power" going to the wheels to keep it static

Not sure about the 350z transmission, but i know the Z28 (camaro) doesnt do this as the hill start is excellent. However in practice, if the hill is steep enough, im sure it will roll a bit backwards as therre is in theory no "power" going to the wheels to keep it static

Yeah good point - weird how I've never noticed before though. I just did a little test in the car park at work, wouldn't say the slope to the next floor is majorly steep but the Zed even began to roll back here, infact I woulod say unless I applied the brakes the car wouldn't of had a behind left!

Yeah good point - weird how I've never noticed before though. I just did a little test in the car park at work, wouldn't say the slope to the next floor is majorly steep but the Zed even began to roll back here, infact I woulod say unless I applied the brakes the car wouldn't of had a behind left!

That is odd as i dont think it should roll too much on a little slope. It should be idling and going forward like a manual in first gear, so if you leave it without and throttle, you should advance forward at about 5/7mph.

Maybe your engine isnt idling propery and needs a service?

(btw - dont get too scared as i dont really know what i am saying as its really early and i have a hangover ) :thumbdown:

• 1 month later...

Just bought myself a 54 plate import with the auto box, picked it up yesterday and LOVE it.

But, mine also doesn't seem to hold on steep hils. My car before this was a 330ci BMW, with a tiptronic box and it was just the same, so no need to worry at all fella :thumbs: