Wider tyres don't give you more grip

stevie_350z

IMO: I think that chap is getting pressure & grip mixed up. Yes your pounds per sq inch presseure is increasing with narrower tyres but that does not mean grip. Whereas with wider tyres the surface area in contact with the ground is greater & hence more friction & more grip.

I thought I'd post it to see what reaction it got... it seems to make sense that bigger tyres = more grip, esp when you look at the back of a 911 with those fat tyres they have, but... is there anyway to prove it?

Put a set of wheels from a Fiat Panda on an F1 car? :teeth:

As I am very curious of any physics type questions (the plane on a runway one keeps popping up every now and then).. I did some digging.

It seems there is a whole world of debate out there about this very issue - even physics forums have had debates on the subject..

Ive found the follwoing which are quite informative:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/no ... .Ph.r.html

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/in ... 31381.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... h=&t=78848

I havent read all of the stuf, but they seem informative for anyone wanting to read further on the subject.

Now if only someone could tell me if the plane actually could take off, that would be great.

Further down the article ( http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/tipoffs03b.htm ) more about his thinking:

The heavier the vehicle the more momentum it has, but the heavier the vehicle the greater the down-force there is transmitted through the tyres to the road giving a better braking effect. The extra weight is pushing down on the road more, but it is also pushing forward by more. Put extra wheels on to make more surface area touch the ground and the weight is spread over a larger area and becomes less at any given pin-point cancelling out any advantage that you think you would have had. Take a 28-tonne 4-wheeled vehicle and a 28-tonne solid block of tyre rubber and each will slide for the same distance from the same speed on the same coefficient of friction road surface.

original article = bollocks.. vertical load on tyres not linearly related to horizontal force required to overcome friction (specially given uneven surface of road!)..

And how is it related then?

Thing is, if we simplify (which we shouldnt) that friction is independent of surface, as long the weight stays the same. Overcoming the friction of something on a table by applying force until it slides ( == wheelspin) is independent of the contact surface of the object. It is dependent on the material the object is made of and its weight.

Its here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1080

Still cant make my mind up. But best to post about that one on there...

Nick U is absolutely correct. If, as the question states, the conveyor belt maps and matches the speed of the wheels in the opposite direction, then the aircraft will be going nowhere. It will be sitting stationary with the wheels turning. Zero airspeed over the wings = zero lift. An aircraft gets up to takeoff speed by using engine thrust and rolling on the wheels until it has enough airspeed to not require contact with the earth. You'll notice that sometimes when you're flying, a pilot will advance his engines to full power or damn near it before the take-off roll, then sit on the brakes for a while. The aircraft goes nowhere. (I used to do the same when I did engine runs for the aircraft company I worked for) This is exactly the same effect that you have with the conveyor belt working in the opposite direction. It's all about stopping the aircraft accelerating on the wheels and getting sufficient airspeed to generate the lift required for takeoff. Even with aircraft as powerful as fighter jets that cannot be held on the brakes at full power, if the first tiny bit of acceleration (rotation of the wheels) is cancelled out by and then matched by a conveyor belt running in the opposite direction, the aircraft will not move forward, will not accelerate, will remain stationary and will not generate airspeed and lift. Actually, I'd love to see a conveyor belt that could match the wheel speed that a fighter jet on reheat would generate. Or indeed landing gear that could take it!! :scare:

So when did a plane ever move because of its wheels? What are those big engines stuck to the wing for - show? :teeth:

It would take off, and its wheels would be spinning twice as fast.

Stevie

Ming here

AGREEING with you.

Wheels on a fighter just turn. There is no drive. They in theory actually SLOW an aircrafts take off as they generate both heat and friction there by initially slowing forward motion.

Rotating wheels have no effect on lift. As you rightly say the plane would still move forwards and the wheels would just turn twice as fast!! The thrust of an engine is on the air behind it not the ground below it!

If the theory of conveyor belt and aircraft held true then a Harrier jump jet would never fly!!

It goes up. Stops, and then goes forwards with no contact with the floor!

Ming the Thoughtful

I've always loved you, Ming, you know that don't you... :p

BTW - did you post pics of your polished plenum? (good job I've got my teeth in)

?????????????????

Polished plenum ... poop. Purple plenum Pic Posting Person pleeeaaase!!

Ming the Muddled

Where's the pics then? I feel uncomfortable searching for a "purple plenum"