Which new Head Unit out of these 3? Thanks

DP7657

So, after 5 hours of research I have narrowed my choices to these. Which do you recommend / have experience of?

Alpine iXA-W404R - £325 - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ixa-w404r.html

iPod + iPhone, iPod video, rear USB cable, Bluetooth ready (+£100)

ixaw404r.jpg

Alpine CDE-W203Ri - £180 - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde-w203ri.html

iPod + iPhone, front USB, Bluetooth ready (+£100)

cdew203ri.jpg

PIONEER AVH-3200DVD - £300 - http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-avh-3200bt_p-25968.htm

iPod + iPhone, front USB, front SD, DVD, Bluetooth

avhp3200bt_main_gallery.jpg

The Pioneer is standing out by a mile for me, although I have heard the best feedback about using Alpine in the Zed. Does anyone know if that will work OK with the Bose Amps / speakers / sub if I buy all of the cables and adaptors?

All thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

First one for me. Alpine's iPod integration and having their own DSP in the units is so far ahead of the competition right now, I wouldn't touch anything else. Pioneer looks prettier, but having a big volume knob is still the most user-friendly way of operating things.

Hmm, I did think that too. Thing is, the Pioneer looks best (IMO) and I have always been quite a fan of the stuff they make. The W404 becomes quite a bit more expensive than the Pioneer with the KCE400BT Bluetooth Adaptor...

Am I right to think that the OEM Bluetooth system won't work through the speakers once the HU is replaced?

I should add that I am happy spending at the £300ish mark but when it goes over £400 all in I feel like I've pushed myself a bit far with my recent extravagance!

Thanks for all replies (It has been a tiring Sunday so far with all this ICE reading)!

£100 is peanuts relatively speaking, and it's certainly cheaper than buying a new head unit when you get naffed off with the first one you buy because it doesn't sound as good or feels clunky in operation ;)

Haha, is it obvious that I am a complete scrudge trying not to let my new 350Z dreams take over my entire life?

Fair point there, do you think I'm right in assuming that the OEM BT won't work once the Bose HU has been replaced?

Thanks

The irony of it, bought a BT Adaptor last week, will be selling it again within days!

I should add what I was searching for that got me down to these choices to help anyone else looking into it.

- Pod + iPhone connectivity and control through the steering wheel

- USB connectivity for music / video (preferably a front slot)

- Bluetooth connectivity (OEM dead without Bose HU)

- Am expecting to pay up to but hopefully not over £400 (DVD seems like a natural extra bonus when spending in this price bracket although I didn't set out seeing it as necessary)

- Alpine / Pioneer / Sony as preferred brands (JVC I know do good ones but I am not a fan of JVC or their interfaces)

Is the JVC's fit down to the shape of the JVC then, not the fascia?

It's sounding like the Pioneers don't fit so well with the Sextons double DIN fascia. Unless you used a different one, supplied with the JVC?

try to avoid sextons direct, because they sent me the wrong one.

Better off phoning the manufacturer direct, ICT.

InCarTec

Unit 2, Leigham Units

Silverton Road

Matford

Exeter

Devon

EX2 8HY

Tel: +44 (0) 1392 829435

Fax: +44 (0) 1392 829439

Email: info@incartec.co.uk

Below see the other facia available fitted to my Pioneer (Part no.50-256), yes there is a slight gap at the bottom, but that was remedied buy modding the facia surround that came with the Pioneer.

dinoc001.jpg

i found sextons direct to be OK. the fascia they sent me was sport on and fitted really well. the colour mate was good too.

i have and alpine unit in mine and think it is very good, the sound is very good however you will have to replace the Amp and possibly the sub to get them to work properly. as the new unit doesnt work the same as the Bose one did to power the amp. (so i have been told)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just for closure, so anyone can search for this information in future I did go for the JVC KW AVX 740 in the end. If anyone wants any info on the unit etc then feel free to ask.

Here it is fitted, looks pretty good I think and the face is detachable:

5886240636_498ccf94f1_z.jpg

Does everything I need (phone handsfree, ipod, iphone, dvd, usb and usb video) and works fine with the following parts from Car Audio Centre who gave me a good service and let me haggle on price a bit (steering stalk control loom, JVC adapter loom and a radio adapter which doesn't actually seem to be needed at all so don't buy that):

1 x AIS2260 £30

1 x ASC2674 £40

1 x AAN2114 £5

and the Fascia 50-236 - £14.99

Had it fitted by a guy near me, PM me if you want his number. Gave me a fantastic service, is a very qualified and friendly guy and charged about half the price of any car audio shop I spoke to

Dan

Looks great Dan :) I'm deciding between keeping my single din headunit from my old car or getting a double. Your's looks really nice!

Few questions if you've got any time to answer:

Do the steering wheel controls still work the same?

Does the bluetooth work the same?

Does the headunit charge an iPod/iPhone whilst connected?

Can you connect an iPod/iPhone and get it to charge but not listen to it? (My current headunit will charge my iPhone but only if I listen to it)

Have you got it connected to the standard Bose system or haver you installed anything else?

Thanks! :)

Do the steering wheel controls still work the same?

Yes, still have full use of the volume and track change buttons. The bluetooth steering controls however don't work now. But with a 7 inch touch screen to press instead to answer the phone, it's really not an issue in my opinion!

Does the bluetooth work the same?

Yes, I can still make and receive calls handsfree. It is a lot better to be honest because in the phone section of the Head Unit I can now automatically see all of my iPhone's contacts and simply press a name to call one. Voice activated calls work too although I've not had much time to experiment with that stuff yet. I don't think the microphone with the JVC is quite as good as the factory installed one I had but that might be due to where I positioned it (tucked in behind the rear view mirror).

Does the headunit charge an iPod/iPhone whilst connected?

Yes. It has USB 2.0 rear connection which means it will charge / run USB devices on its own. You simply plug the iPod / iPhone white Apple USB cable into the JVC's rear USB output wire and its all set to go.

Can you connect an iPod/iPhone and get it to charge but not listen to it? (My current headunit will charge my iPhone but only if I listen to it)

Yes, once you've plugged the iPhone / iPod into the USB connection you don't have to listen to it. The main screen on the HU shows the multiple device options to use (Tuner / USB / iPod / phone / DVD / CD etc) so you can listen to the radio or watch a DVD while your iPod / iPhone is charging, no problem.

Have you got it connected to the standard Bose system or haver you installed anything else?

It's all connected into the Bose Amps + speakers. One of the cables that you need is the one that specifically matches this stereo (or some others too) to the Bose set up. As far as I am concerned the sound quality from the Bose stuff is pretty good and I don't have £000000s to play with so it was only ever going to be the HU that I changed.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have mate, happy to help!