stripping rays for priming and painting(help)

Neilp

Hi guys, just about to start stripping the oem 18" rays to start prepping for painting.

I need some info for what grade of sand paper to use to sand the oem paint of the wheels.

What grades would be used in intermediate stages also ?

I will update this thread with all the processes and stages.

If anyone would recommend a type of paint which would be suitable to withstand the heat or I will just use basic spray can paint from halfrauds or a local paint shop. These are track wheels so not too bothered about spending that much money on them tbh.

Cheers

Neil

It'll take a while to sand them down and you'll have to make sure they're perfectly smooth or they'll look crap when painted.

Might be better to get them sand blasted or chemically stripped somewhere first. I think wheels can be painted with normal acrylic or cellulose based paint the same as the body work. I think results with spray cans will not be good, best to use a spray gun and a booth.

my dad done his. We have a sander for it and he done 22" 4x4 wheels in a weekend and they looked great. The paint peeled after 2 years with the power from the pressure washer at one small bit. I was just wanting to check before I go with what he knows.

when I stripped back my RX8 alloys, I used "Nitromors" to strip off the paint.

Worked a treat. stripped everything back, so didnt need much work. Just a very fine rub down with wet n dry (I forget the grade).

when I stripped back my RX8 alloys, I used "Nitromors" to strip off the paint.

Worked a treat. stripped everything back, so didnt need much work. Just a very fine rub down with wet n dry (I forget the grade).

cheers Al :thumbs: Good to know that :yahoo:

Im a Decorator and i use Nitromors to strip off old paint from wood/metal, like Lexx says it works a treat. The best technique is to brush it on and leave it for about 30-60 seconds and then go over it again with some nitromors on the brush and dab it instead of brushing backwards and forwards, it helps to lift the paint from the surface. Make sure you wear gloves and eywear as it burns A LOT if you get it on your skin and you dont want to lose your eyes! :scare:

Make sure you wash the wheels over with either white spirit or methylated spirit to neutralise the surface.

240 grade sand paper is a good smooth finishing paper, 180 grade is good for removing slight surface imperfections, also as lexx said, wet and dry would be the best technique to use if your doing it yourself. :thumbs:

As for aerosol spray paint it tends to leave a horrible orange peal finish. A spray gun would be the better option you can build up the layers gradually using a cellulose paint. You can also spray the laquer on this way too. :D

I wont bore you any longer, :yawn: hope this helps.

Im a Decorator and i use Nitromors to strip off old paint from wood/metal, like Lexx says it works a treat. The best technique is to brush it on and leave it for about 30-60 seconds and then go over it again with some nitromors on the brush and dab it instead of brushing backwards and forwards, it helps to lift the paint from the surface. Make sure you wear gloves and eywear as it burns A LOT if you get it on your skin and you dont want to lose your eyes! :scare:

Make sure you wash the wheels over with either white spirit or methylated spirit to neutralise the surface.

240 grade sand paper is a good smooth finishing paper, 180 grade is good for removing slight surface imperfections, also as lexx said, wet and dry would be the best technique to use if your doing it yourself. :thumbs:

As for aerosol spray paint it tends to leave a horrible orange peal finish. A spray gun would be the better option you can build up the layers gradually using a cellulose paint. You can also spray the laquer on this way too. :D

top man :thumbs: cheers for the info. Planning on doing about 10-15 very light coats with the spray cans as i havent got a spray gun. :wacko: I will still try and layer and then lacquer with the spray tin. It doesnt need to be perfect tbh and i dont think it will be. Its just to add a bit of life to the wheels as the car drowns the wheels out with all the stuff on it and bodykit etc. Not running spacers also makes them look very small

cheers again :thumbs:

if you had a crappy air compressor could you use a spray gun?

if you had a crappy air compressor could you use a spray gun?

I think so, you would just need the spray gun with a bottle attachment. You can pick up basic spray guns fairly cheap though.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_se ... nt+sprayer

Yeah go pink!! :thumbs:

would this cheap badboy workhttp://www.screwfix.com/p/pgs75-electric-spray-gun-240v/13389

I cant see why not, for what you want to use it for it should be fine. Obviously if you were wanting to do a more professional job you would be better using a gravity fed gun with adjustable and interchangeable nozzles with an air compressor

Give it a go :thumbs:

I cant see why not, for what you want to use it for it should be fine. Obviously if you were wanting to do a more professional job you would be better using a gravity fed gun with adjustable and interchangeable nozzles with an air compressor

Give it a go :thumbs:

for 15quid its worth the risk i think.. :lol: fook it, screwfix tomorrow morning it is :lol:

so pink or red guys?

powder coat all the way Neil! :D

too expensive lol dont wanna cook them either incase the get done to hot and snap on track on me lol

sorry for the slight hijack of the thread but Il be redoing my wheels on my other car and aerosols are damn expensive!

agree, think that getting paint from a paintman and getting a spray gun is the way to go and you'll probably get a better end result. got a paint can for 35£ doing my two fairing bits on the bike, and have 1/2 left...

Not sure regarding using an electric one.

sorry for the slight hijack of the thread but Il be redoing my wheels on my other car and aerosols are damn expensive!

jeez i thought that would be the cheaper option. I think im gonna go downt he spray gun route. Means i can mix my own colours. :yahoo:

Good man, let us know how you get on with it. :thumbs:

I think red will suit the car more with the red detail already on the car. B) (safe bet) But pink will STAND OUT! It has to be illuminous though!

haha i want it to stand out and look like a track monster and not a car thats trying too hard to look show-like haha, i know that sound a bit hyprocitical saying that due to the discreet graphics on the car :#1: . I dont want it too look to pretty :lol: