mods and insurance

George Dredd

So hard to say mate as eveyone seems to have crazy differences between quotes - 40 odd year old blokes paying 800-900 quid and 23 year old lads paying 600!

We pay an extra £30 a year with Admiral Multicar for a pop charger, Scorpion zorst on the Zed and an engine chip (10-15% BHP increase) on my Lancer.

Now the plenum is easily covered under something generic like 'other engine modification' (because you'll never find an option for 'plenum spacer' on the options list), the zorst should also be reasonably cheap..............the remap can cause more mither - a few people have been outright declined by the insurer once this is done - depends on the insurer though.

Set a dummy quote up with Admiral and have a play around.

the remap can cause more mither - a few people have been outright declined by the insurer once this is done - depends on the insurer though.

Hi mate, I am with admiral, I pay 700 quid for me and my bird with 9 years no claims, is a remap easy for the insurance company to find out about if there was an accident? Not that I'm saying I would do that but my cousins best mates dad wants to know ;)

the remap can cause more mither - a few people have been outright declined by the insurer once this is done - depends on the insurer though.

Hi mate, I am with admiral, I pay 700 quid for me and my bird with 9 years no claims, is a remap easy for the insurance company to find out about if there was an accident? Not that I'm saying I would do that but my cousins best mates dad wants to know ;)

I know its tempting mate but its seriously not worth it...........your talking about you life in utter tatters if anything happens.

From what I've heard (I did a lot of research when getting the chip for the Lancer) the insurance companies more than ever are seriously investigating any get out clause that they can.

I'm sure the experts can advise better but (and I don't understand any of what I'm about to say - I just remember it) its very easy to see a remap and indeed if a car has been previously remapped and then wiped as the eeprom logs each time its overwritten so even if you are able to wipe the remap if you crash (unlikely to be the first thing on your mind as your crawling out of wreckage) it is still obvious that a car has been tinkered with. If you don't wipe it then its plain as day for any grinning loss adjuster to see.

I'm not entirely sure what I just said makes any sense so :surrender: if anyone who knows better comes along!

I know its tempting mate but its seriously not worth it...........your talking about you life in utter tatters if anything happens.

From what I've heard (I did a lot of research when getting the chip for the Lancer) the insurance companies more than ever are seriously investigating any get out clause that they can.

I'm sure the experts can advise better but (and I don't understand any of what I'm about to say - I just remember it) its very easy to see a remap and indeed if a car has been previously remapped and then wiped as the eeprom logs each time its overwritten so even if you are able to wipe the remap if you crash (unlikely to be the first thing on your mind as your crawling out of wreckage) it is still obvious that a car has been tinkered with. If you don't wipe it then its plain as day for any grinning loss adjuster to see.

I'm not entirely sure what I just said makes any sense so :surrender: if anyone who knows better comes along!

No worries mate I won't be doing that but just out of interest should I declare my scorpion cat back as it was a replacement for the standard one as that snapped at the join?

Yes! I know its galling (its like the pop charger probably reduces the power if anything!) but its not standard and therefore needs to be declared.

The only thing we don't declare is the colour change on the rays - but again I'm pretty sure we should (my argument being they're still rays just a bit less curbed and darker :ninja: )

Same with changing alloys - doesn't matter if your changing alloys for alloys.......if its different to OEM then it needs to be declared.

Even drilled/grooved brakes or uprated calipers should be declared.......if anything they make you safer!

Basically - your having your balls tugged whatever you do so declare them all!

Hi, does anyone have any idea how much on average an insurance company will raise the price of my insurance for let's say

1. plenum spacer

2. Exhaust+Y pipe

3. Remap

I know all companys will vary, but a ballpark figure based on experience would be helpful. Thanks :thumbs:

The comparison websites (Confused, Compare the Market etc.) have a section where you can tick all the mods you have done on the car. Basically it is just a case of getting an unmodified quote and then going back and redoing the quote with the modifications to see the price difference.

My mods (exhaust, wheel spacers) add an extra £30 and my 3 points an extra £100 :(

I had an uprev, plenum spacer, panel filter, new exhaust. I wanted it all covered by the insurance but direct line couldn't support mods, so they cancelled the policy (so no cancellation fee) and I moved to sky insurance. I was expecting a big hike in premiums but actually sky were able to undercut direct line by about £60. So I got all my mods and a cheaper insurance deal with no change to cover details.

My mods (exhaust, wheel spacers) add an extra £30 and my 3 points an extra £100 :(

£100?! My 3 points for stopping near a pedestrian crossing (PC30) increase my insurance quotes on a zed by £600. ALl I did was stop to let my girlfriend put something in the frigging post box in 2008 :rant:

Np at all, I will try to track down the results abbey gave and send them along.

Ok found the dyno results, pm me your email and I will send along all the graphs.

You will love the change, makes the car far more fun to drive, power all the way through the gears.

Insurers are bastards to be honest but we all have to get insured... nobody could give you an estimate really there are so many factors that affect your insurance (some vaild and some not so valid which make no sense)

all you can do is check on confused, compare the market and insure your motor.

is a remap easy for the insurance company to find out about if there was an accident? Not that I'm saying I would do that but my cousins best mates dad wants to know ;)

Well, it's difficult to say, I made a claim in 1997 when my RS Turbo was stolen/Recovered and had been chipped to 195bhp (undeclared) without any problems. The problem comes with exactly what you declare, where exactly do you draw the line?..would fitting a SatNav need to be declared, or a pair of Nissan Spats or a Front Spoiler. Obviously it's essential that any performance enhancements must be declared but what if you buy a second hand Zed with say a Plenum spacer fitted and you had no idea that it was not a standard part on the car :shrug: I certainly had never even heard of them before I joined this club :blush:

Pete

is a remap easy for the insurance company to find out about if there was an accident? Not that I'm saying I would do that but my cousins best mates dad wants to know ;)

Well, it's difficult to say, I made a claim in 1997 when my RS Turbo was stolen/Recovered and had been chipped to 195bhp (undeclared) without any problems. The problem comes with exactly what you declare, where exactly do you draw the line?..would fitting a SatNav need to be declared, or a pair of Nissan Spats or a Front Spoiler. Obviously it's essential that any performance enhancements must be declared but what if you buy a second hand Zed with say a Plenum spacer fitted and you had no idea that it was not a standard part on the car :shrug: I certainly had never even heard of them before I joined this club :blush:

Pete

This is exactly what I was thinking, I have the least mechanical knowledge out of everyone on this forum and I too had never heard of a plenum spacer, I just assumed that as my scorpion adds no power and I did not want to get robbed at the stealers, it was a simple replacement with a different brand name. Two weeks ago my bird had an exhaust fitted on the banger and it certainly did not come from the stealers for the pittance we paid for it, should we declare this too? :wacko:

The easiest way to put this one to bed is ring your insurance company and ask..............mark my words though they will insist on ANYTHING thats not OEM or OEM direct replacement (meaning a standard copy item) as a mod.

Personally I'd prefer not to worry about having void insurance - your also not talking about 'not declaring' 1 little teeny mod.....your talking about a plenum (which can't be seen), a remap (which your taking a chance that they would never check) and a Scorpion zorst (which your argument is doesn't enhance performance) - you crash into someone and smash them up and the insurance void on you - you'll be sued into the stone age and in debt for the rest of your days.