Underlay, underlay!

SparksCW

Just a random thought (I have a lot of these :blush::lol: ) but to reduce road noise in the car people always suggest extra mats in the boot, and after fitting my reverse camera last week there's pretty much NO insulation in there.. has anyone used some decent carpet underlay cut to the shape of the boot mat then put it under the mat? does it actually make any difference?

I have some expensive 11mm underlay left over from my bedroom carpet but was wondering if it was worth the effort?!

Its expensive, but worth every penny.

You can get it cheaper on fleabay too.

Ask any of the ICE guru's on the forum, and they will tell you how great it is.

in my old RX8 I put some in the doors/boot/and behind just about every other panel. Amazing the difference it makes.

Dynamat really doesn't make much difference with road noise. The equivalent from second skin does seem to help a little with exhaust drone though.

+1 You need either some hardcore 4mm+ deadening or a barrier.

Dynamat is pretty rubbish tbh and overpriced.

Dynamat really doesn't make much difference with road noise. The equivalent from second skin does seem to help a little with exhaust drone though.

+1 You need either some hardcore 4mm+ deadening or a barrier.

Dynamat is pretty rubbish tbh and overpriced.

I wanted to go with luxury liner pro but it wouldn't fit under the spare :(

I went to a local carpet store to try and get an off cut of carpet underlay. Unfortunately they didn't have any underlay but I got some carpet instead. I used the original boot mat as a template and cut out a new thicker boot mat from the carpet.

The result - well, I now have the carpet boot mat covered by the thin 350z boot mat. Didn't find any discernable difference in noise but my RSR exhaust is loud and I don't have a tonneau cover :( Maybe the a thick section of underlay will work better...

Chris

its the wrong kind of sound deadening for that type of noise

Iunno, I thought carpet overlay was ok for road noise? Seems to be the best thing is Mass Loaded Vinyl, but jute and/or underlay would presumably have some effect too?

Brown bread is just lead sheeting IIRC and isn't going to have much effect on road noise, think dave will be able to confirm that.