anyone imported their 350z?

nixy

I have been looking at going down the import route for a second hand Z. I've done a bit of research into the costs and looking at a list of what prices cars reached in recent japanese auctions with all the associated costs etc added, there doesn't seem to be a great saving on what's for sale in the 2nd hand UK market at the moment. Has anyone got any experience of going through an importer for theirs?

but would there still be a benefit to doing this as opposed to just going for a uk car?

imported cars still cheaper than UK equivalents...also (stand by for backlash ;) ) in general the imports are usually in better condition than a UK car year for year :thumbs: if I had the choice again now, I would still plump for an import after having mine about 11 months or so now :)

but would there still be a benefit to doing this as opposed to just going for a uk car?

No

You can now pick up a uk car for about the same price as an import

imports are almost near impossible to sell

Theres no water tight way to check mileage or history

alot of insurance companies wont touch them

alot of them dont have brembos the decent lsd or the high tech braking system.

If you are going to get an import get a s or st but remember you want it 2>3k cheaper than the uk equivelant because chances are no one will pay decent money for it when your ready to sell

No

You can now pick up a uk car for about the same price as an import no you cantimports are almost near impossible to sell no there not

Theres no water tight way to check mileage or history no water tight way on a UK car either

alot of insurance companies wont touch them rubbish

alot of them dont have brembos the decent lsd or the high tech braking system. yes they do if you get the spec you want

If you are going to get an import get a s or st but remember you want it 2>3k cheaper than the uk equivelant because chances are no one will pay decent money for it when your ready to sell] there's a hell of a lot of UK cars looking for owners at present as well, also the fact remains if you buy cheap to start with ,you can sell cheap when the time comes to move on

No

You can now pick up a uk car for about the same price as an import no you cantimports are almost near impossible to sell no there not

Theres no water tight way to check mileage or history no water tight way on a UK car either

alot of insurance companies wont touch them rubbish

alot of them dont have brembos the decent lsd or the high tech braking system. yes they do if you get the spec you want

If you are going to get an import get a s or st but remember you want it 2>3k cheaper than the uk equivelant because chances are no one will pay decent money for it when your ready to sell] there's a hell of a lot of UK cars looking for owners at present as well, also the fact remains if you buy cheap to start with ,you can sell cheap when the time comes to move on

:clap:

I'm not worried about selling it one afterwards as I realise that if you get it cheaper you sell it cheaper - therefore the depreciation should be the same. I've had a parallel import before that the previous owner sourced from belgium - it was great as it meant I got a car at an age and spec that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford - I traded it in no problem. The whole jap thing is totally different tho and the costs involved if you're the first uk owner seem to be quite steep which is why I wondered if it was worth it. Also what about the warranty? I know on my belgium import I only had two years but what about a jap import - is there any at all? Has anyone actually been through the process of sourcing one from japan and how was it?

Also what about the warranty? I know on my belgium import I only had two years but what about a jap import - is there any at all?

no warranty from Nissan on an import, if you buy from a dealer they have to put a warranty on it :thumbs: I bought mine privately so no warranty, just get it checked over before you part with your cash..if you go down this route, You will save a lot of money on a private sale though so this should outweigh the warranty concerns :)

Quote "alot of them dont have brembos the decent lsd or the high tech braking system. yes they do if you get the spec you want"

This old chestnut - I'm still not totally sure of what breaking system and whether I hav the high tech lsd on mine or not - Mine's a version T - anyone got any answers? Sorry again Mods Ive temporarily hijacked the thread. :headhurt:

Cheers

Quote "alot of them dont have brembos the decent lsd or the high tech braking system. yes they do if you get the spec you want"

This old chestnut - I'm still not totally sure of what breaking system and whether I hav the high tech lsd on mine or not - Mine's a version T - anyone got any answers? Sorry again Mods Ive temporarily hijacked the thread. :headhurt:

Cheers

Leenx ..I've no idea what "high tech braking system" is either.. you either have Brembo's or dont, same master cylinders, ABS etc..on JDM's and UK cars

there are loads of for and against arguements for uk and Jdm

If you do it yourself you will get a cheap 350z from japan

Today i found one with 24k on the clock 6spd manual silver non brembo for £8900 if I import and SVA this car it will be about £10500 at the most.

However insurance is more you dont have brembos which to be honest make a big difference also there are many small things like suspension tweaks on the uk models. to get it to uk spek if say 3k more on what would be paid.

There is a big saving to be done if you do the leg work.

Lew

Cheers

The t is basically the same as the base model but with leather which means it has no ebd which i believe stands for electrinic braking distrubution which helps when driving fast it also has no brembos and an inferior lsd and the tc system is nt as advanced as the uk models or the jdm s/st

Hi Nixy

I Imported my Z this year direct from japan http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/

Bought chilli 4.5 grade car, version S, thats the luxury model over in Japan leather, BOSE sound. Auction price was £10,500. Final price was £15,600. If think you can buy cheaper imports, but i paid more for the higher grade and colour. I have attached an excel spreadsheet of my costs.

Cheers

Mark :thumbs:

Quote- "Today i found one with 24k on the clock 6spd manual silver non brembo for £8900 if I import and SVA this car it will be about £10500 at the most. - Where? Sounds like a steal to me and too good to be true!

However insurance is more - No it isn't in general. My current insurance and I shopped around tended to be the same premium to that of UK ones.you dont have brembos which to be honest make a big difference - Mine although not Brembo feel amazing and better response to that of the Brembos I had on my Subaru STI UK.also there are many small things like suspension tweaks on the uk models. - Again not quite true, my understanding is suspension modification only came on to UK Zeds around 2004. to get it to uk spek if say 3k more on what would be paid. I've spent a total of £650 inc Rays, spoiler and a few other bits n pieces - ok no Brembos but that doesn't equal a balance of £2.5k?

nnn