Various questions

ByteJuggler

'ey all,

Rightee ho... As I've mentioned in a previous post, I've got a Zed coming. Ironically, it's already arrived at the dealers, and the delay in picking it up is essentially myself (or more to the point, work/life has been getting in the way.) Been enormously busy and haven't had a chance to sort out everything before picking her up yet (insurance, finance, etc.) Also needing to decide about things like GAP insurance etc and a few other thigs. So, a few questions just to get the general feel for the consensus on here (if any):

1.) Supaguard and Paintshield

The dealer wants to sell me Supaguard for £295 or so. Now I know you can buy the Supaguard kit on Ebay for a fraction of that cost. However, then I'd still need to apply it. Complicating the decision is:

a) I don't know what Supaguard actually does to the paint (which worries me slightly)

b ) I probably want to get the front Paintshielded, which means that presumably you want to have the parts being shielded waxed/polished to a fairly high standard before application. Or is that not correct?

c) It's a shorter journey from the dealer to Paintshield (I think) than it is to first take the care home then take it back to Paintshield at a later date (so it might be better to take it straight from the dealers to be paintshielded?) For that matter, where is Paintshield's premises? (Never mind, I'll PM Tom and confirm.. )

So I don't really know. On the one hand I'd be happier to not have it supaguarded and then Zaino or something the car myself first, then have it Paintshielded. But, that increases the risk of chips before Paintshielding and is a lot more hassle. So on the other hand, if the Supaguard is half decent, it seems to make sense to just have it done, then take the car straight out to be paintshielded after pickup.

The other prime worry is paintshield on the new Ebisu black - how noticable is it, and how well does it polish with quality stuff like Zaino?

One other supaguard question to those who've had it done (Nismo'd?): Is the supaguard sold by the dealers only for the paintwork, or does it also include some interior/wheel/tyre treatment? If so, what does it do to the leather? Any other comments about it?

2.) GAP insurance. I've been made an offer by the dealer for their equivalent to GAP insurance. Is it worth it to shop around and/or how is the service offering by the one offered by the dealers? Has anyone had to use them and how was it?

Aside: I'm a little "insurance weary" these days. It seems everyone wants to sell you another little insurance to cover things "just in case" the already existing cover/warranty etc isn't good enough. (Can anyone say "coverplan" for household appliances etc.) Gap insurance seems to me a tacit admission that your "normal" insurance is somehow deficient, the idea of which irks me. That may actually in truth be the case, but it still irks me somehow. What the hell is the point of insurance then if it's actually not enough???

3.) Car insurance: Any recommendations? I'm with Direct Line at the minute. Need to give them a ring and see what they quote. But, any other recommendations?

Anyway, moving on, it looks like I'll be picking up the Zed towards the end of next week (24th, 25th or so) depending on workload and other circumstances. I guess on the upside it gives me a chance to sort a few other bits out (where's the best Z badges to be had?!? And a stubby aerial?)

Thanks !!!

Personally, I didnt bother with paintshielding or anything. For the price that costs you can have a couple of bumper resprays, if you really want to, after a couple of years.

Cars are supposed to be used, there will be tear and wear. Nothing you can do about that :)

I took out the GAP insurance as it pays the difference between my insurance settlement and the cost of a new car. So if it's written off at any time within 3 years I'll get a new car regardless of my insurer payout. I think it was about £350 for 3 years but not much IMHO to get a new car replacement for a 1-3 year old car.

Your insurance isn't going to payout for a new car after more than a year, so the GAP is worthwhile to cover depreciation as I take it yours is brand new.

I'm insured with Privilege (who are Direct Line) and I found them to be about 20% cheaper than Direct Line...depends on your NCB I guess. Plus I'm an old git (40). :wheelchair:

NO supaguard, it's only wax! at that price get Paintshield, a must-have in my eyes, I'm not regretting it ONE bit! I'm sure a bumper was only about £240 all in if not cheaper?? You won't get any quality respray for that price. Plus, could you live with a bumper which is stonechipped to death? How long for? I know I couldn't!

Gap insurance could be a good idea, just get it elsewhere, there's a site where they make it well cheaper compared to dealers, do a search on here, can't remember the address.

Guest prescience

1 B) Paintshield or ArmourFend requires that all polish is removed from the to-be covered area - this is part of the installation process

1 B) Paintshield or ArmourFend requires that all polish is removed from the to-be covered area - this is part of the installation process

Not actually true, I know because my car got done with the Supaguard in place. Where the problem lies is if the ppf can't stick to the car, if this happens then they have to 'thin' out the wax\supaguard a bit to allow the ppf to stick.

GAP insurance can be had far cheaper and is a great thing. My bank offered me it for £90 when I arranged the finance. Bear in mind that your insurer will only pay the market value of your car at the time of loss (as any insurer will only be looking to indemnify you - ie put you back to the point you were at the time of loss, if they gave you a new car and yours was 2 yrs old this wouldn't be indemnifying you).

Supaguard is a waste of money imo.