malfunction Indicator light - after service?

hyeung

Hi,

Just got back from a P2 54K service...spark plugs, coolant, gearbox and diff oil replaced.

However, having drove the car for about 30mins i notice the yellow Malfunction Indicator Light appearing (just on constantly)!?

The car appears to drive fine and nothing obviously wrong? Have tried turning the car off and back on....but light keeps coming back.

Not sure how serious this is.....assume i can still drive the car, or low speeds?

Can anyone let me know what are the possible causes of this light.

The spark plugs were replaced today, could the incorrect installation of this perhaps cause such light?

Would certain items had to be disconnected or taken apart in order to replace the spark plugs...which may have cause the light?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Hung

Try the ECU reset first. :thumbs:

Take it back to where you got it serviced if ECU dont work. :shrug:

There are plenty of things that can bring on the light.

They may have disturbed something when they did the plugs...

Make sure the mass air flow sensor plug is secure. :thumbs:

You can read the code. but I am not best placed how to tell you how to do it as I have never done it, sorry :blush:

Some wiz will be along soon to answer your question.

But yes the fault will be cleared, but I think it cal be recalled if you have the required code reader.

I'd take it straight back to the dealer and explain that the car has a malfunction light on since it's been serviced and see what they say. Hopefully they will do a diagnostic and be able to tell you what the fault code is which should shed some light as to whether it's related to the work they did or not.

I'll defintely go down to the garage tommorrow morning.....

However, when replacing spark plugs is there certain electrical items that need to be disconnected or removed which may have triggered such light faults? The other items of work such as oil change, diff/gearbox oil change would unlikely cause such problems.

Its just too much of a coincidence for such fault to occur after driving away from a service.

Btw, how does one read the code to determine the possible cause without any special equipment?

Thanks,

Hung

Hung,

They will have removed the maff sensor housing to replace the plugs on bank 2.

Just take it back to them and ask them to sort it mate.

Should be nothing to worry about so don't let it spoil your weekend. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex :thumbs:

I suspected it would be something related to the plugs....So i guess its still safe to drive about :drive1

Will drop down tommorrow and have them recheck those specific areas...

Btw, is it possible to read the relevant error codes for this without any special readers?

Thanks,

Hung

Yup.

There is a pedal dance which sets the indicators flashing in sequences giving the code.

You compare the sequence to a list to find the code.

I dont have the link, but its most likely somewhere in the FAQ section.

Checked the car this morning and still MIL light showing.

Had a quick look at the mass air flow sensor unit, all of which was plugged in and looked secure.

However, noticed the coolant levels had shrunk below min!

Anyways cut things short, its all sorted now after another visit to the garage.

Was told something about an O2 sensor? No more MIL light and all appears fine....plus coolant topped up.

Car now feels all nice again. Plus gear changes are some what nicer on the feel. Probably due to its first gearbox oil change, but not any worse than before. Still alittle clunky the odd time i.e. 1st-2nd. But i guess its the norm as with most 350s. Didnt have any MolySlip applied....so maybe that would have helped.....maybe next time.

Thanks,

Hung

Many thanks Alex! :thumbs:

Btw, would it be over kill to change the gearbox oil on each service? Thinking of doing it on the next one, but also try the Molyslip that you suggested. Hoping it'll make things even more sweet.

Oh about the rear rubbing noise, they repositioned a break backplate which seemed to have helped alittle. Nothing major thou.

Cheers,

Hung

Many thanks Alex! :thumbs:

Btw, would it be over kill to change the gearbox oil on each service? Thinking of doing it on the next one, but also try the Molyslip that you suggested. Hoping it'll make things even more sweet.

Oh about the rear rubbing noise, they repositioned a break backplate which seemed to have helped alittle. Nothing major thou.

Cheers,

Hung

No need to swop out the transmision fluid annually, however the moly can be added at any time :thumbs:

The brake back plates have a habit of coming into contact with the rotors and only require a bit of repositioning :thumbs: