*Question* Internal Upgrades Non Revup and Revup

Wasso

What were the internal engine changes between non revup and revup, were there certain parts that were forged?

I can't for the life of me think of what they were and can't find the answer on the web. (search criteria is clearly not enough).

Ta. :thumbs:

Help at all?

Allowing the engine to breathe freer, especially at higher engine speeds, is a redesigned intake system including a new intake duct and more significantly (and expensively) a new inlet manifold that is shorter and wider than before. As if that were not enough, Nissan has added new pistons and a revised inlet camshaft profile. These changes are complemented by variable valve timing on the exhaust side as well and a new timing chain and oil pump. Other bits and pieces have been lightened and stiffened to cope with the higher engine speeds.

Taken from:

http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews.ht ... le&id=1235

Cheers both, specifically looking at the forged area's really. I'm having a NOS discussion with Wizards at the moment and discussing the internal upgrades.

So are we saying the Pistons are forged? I know something was forged over the non-revup but can't recall?

Rev up cars have all the same internal stuff as the DE , same con rods that break when you run to much torque Ian , just like I have told you before. Nothing is forged in these motors.

Th Rev up engines have oil buring issues as well Nissan changed the ring design on these motors , which cause these cars to burn oil , if you order a set of rings for a rev up engine nowdays you get earlier DE pistons rings , that will stop your oil usage.

You need to keep an eye on the oil level on Rev up motors.

What I don't understand is in the US they are running 100 shot NOS without any issues. Even running 125 as long it's not continual pounding. The other factor which I find odd is that other vehicles using NOS are running in excess of 100 without any form of engine strengthening? Furthermore why can a supercharger be fitted which is also on the same bandwagon of torque get away scot free. I'm sure there are limitations with the supercharger although you can hit 400whp without causing damage.

Also take into consideration the supercharger kicks in as soon as you kit the throttle, NOS doesn't kick in till 4k so there's even less torque risk than the supercharger.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing your comments with torque, I'm seeking additional information in which to make a decision and go for the 100 shot. Wizards have looked at the last decent dyno report and feel we should be getting more from the 75 shot as it's only gaining 50horse :shrug: and mentioned the fueling appears rich and thus dampening the NOS. I'm sure that's a precaution to avoid running lean? Either way I'd like to review exactly where the boundaries are and with the amount of money spent actually achieve those markers. If I'm at the limit so be it, although investigating other avenues maybe an option?

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing your comments with torque, I'm seeking additional information in which to make a decision and go for the 100 shot. Wizards have looked at the last decent dyno report and feel we should be getting more from the 75 shot as it's only gaining 50horse and mentioned the fueling appears rich and thus dampening the NOS. I'm sure that's a precaution to avoid running lean? Either way I'd like to review exactly where the boundaries are and with the amount of money spent actually achieve those markers. If I'm at the limit so be it, although investigating other avenues maybe an option?

Ian,

running the jets they said only yielded around 40 bhp , I have leaned the car off to make 50 bhp.

Try what they say but the balls fairly in your court, we deal with the Rev up motors daily we kinda know them very well. I even let you use the dyno with Wizard helping if you want.

I have seen a bigger pile of broken engines parts while I was in the US a weel ago through badly tuned 350Z's and G35 cars.

dont get bhp crazy , supercharging make a less agressive torque than dropping in 100+ bhp of gas. I have seen turbo Z's break the rids at 380bhp , the cylinder pressure caused by gas is more agressive than turbo power.

But if you want 100+ bhp go for it but dont cry if it breaks.

I see your point although I'm struggling to understand how the US zeds are coping with no issues on a 100 shot? It just doesn't make sense. Maybe more tunning of the controller itself is required? The progressive element of the controller should safely deliver the NOS without being aggressive. I'll see what wizards have to say.

;) trust me I won't cry, I'll just sob like a broken child who's lost his toys.

After reading endless threads on my350 the verdict seems 125+ or more is dangerous territory hence I'd move no further north than 100. If it also means going direct port to improve safety then I'm up for it. Thanks for commenting though Mark, your advice is not being ignored.