What are the 'best' tyres for my standard Alloys?

slimjim

So I now have my standard GT alloys to go on the car... :yahoo:

but the tyres on them are naff and all mixed and matched... so which tyres are the 'best' for me to get to put on them?

I can stretch to about £600 for the four....

She is a weekend driver, so I am not too fussed about them lasting a long time.

I occasionally drive long distances (about 400 miles in a day, once a month)

She is NEVER 'raced' ... or tracked.

Even though I have just put some lovely new brakes on her :)

Suggestions people? Makes... models... Plus sizes please.

(These are the 18" x 8.0 front, x 8.5 rear)

Cheers :thumbs:

On my current alloys I have Vredestein Ultrac Sassantas, which I have to say I have been very impressed with...

Both in the wet and the dry. (AND the Ice, to be honest!)

Is there anything better out there I should know about?

Wait for Ekona to show up any minute :lol:

Indeed, I would suggest 4 different makes, 1 for each corner just to make weekends interesting :drive1

:p

Seems no-one has any Falcons OR ULTRACS in at the moment :(

I have been offered Yokohama Advanced Sport ... anyone heard of them? £10 MORE a corner than the Ultracs.... :wacko:

Yes. And then some.

As an example, cornering speed on a particular corner on the 452s would be 40mph. You could make that 45mph on the VUS easy. You'd be making that over 50mph on the PS2s. They are that good.

Yes. And then some.

As an example, cornering speed on a particular corner on the 452s would be 40mph. You could make that 45mph on the VUS easy. You'd be making that over 50mph on the PS2s. They are that good.

So I presume they are for racing really?

I am not adverse to paying extra for tyres... that is the whole point.

My pockets are a little shallow at the mo due to my DBA/DS2500 upgrade all round. B)

So I need to justify the extra cost of the PS2's over the VUS.

I don't push the car THAT hard... Im thinking the PS2's might be over kill for a weekend car that I don't push too hard... :shrug:

Not for racing at all, that's merely an indication of just how much better than the other tyres they are. They're a normal road-going compound, not a trackday special. Now that you've done the brakes which will make you a lot quicker, you really should match the quality of the tyres as well to get the best out of your setup. :)

Imagine a tyre with all the feel of the VUS but with a good 30% more grip in the dry and another 50% in the wet. The confidence that will give you will be worth a fortune.

Not for racing at all, that's merely an indication of just how much better than the other tyres they are. They're a normal road-going compound, not a trackday special. Now that you've done the brakes which will make you a lot quicker, you really should match the quality of the tyres as well to get the best out of your setup. :)

Imagine a tyre with all the feel of the VUS but with a good 30% more grip in the dry and another 50% in the wet. The confidence that will give you will be worth a fortune.

Sounds spot on!

So... ringing round... as I need these tyres ASAP... the only ones I can get hold of this week are either the PS2's or RE050's

724 for the Potenza's

760 for the PS2's

.... so I am guessing for the extra forty notes I should really go for the Michelin's....?

Sounds spot on!

So... ringing round... as I need these tyres ASAP... the only ones I can get hold of this week are either the PS2's or RE050's

724 for the Potenza's

760 for the PS2's

.... so I am guessing for the extra forty notes I should really go for the Michelin's....?

Think you answered your own question there, I have RE050A's on mine and very very happy with them but for £40 more I would be tempted to try PS2's...

Yes. And then some.

So I presume they are for racing really?

I am not adverse to paying extra for tyres... that is the whole point.

My pockets are a little shallow at the mo due to my DBA/DS2500 upgrade all round. B)

So I need to justify the extra cost of the PS2's over the VUS.

I don't push the car THAT hard... Im thinking the PS2's might be over kill for a weekend car that I don't push too hard... :shrug:

+1 I just put Vredesteins on mine and am very happy with them. Time will tell on how long they last. Think my driving style and use roughly corresponds with yours from what you say.

Just to throw another one in the mix here. I had the original Bridgestone RE050A's which were very skittish in the wet.

I changed to Falken 452's just to see what the fuss was about. Let's just say you get what you pay for.

I then discovered ContiSport 3's. These bad boys are a god send. And the only reason I went for these was because the PS2's were not available in the size at the time.

They won EVO's trye test last year.

Oh and another thing. If you've invested in brakes and discs to help you stop better, putting on a mid range tyre kind of defeats the object doesn't it? I would save and go premium. You can't afford to scrimp on the only point of contact with the road.

Yes. And then some.

Right... just sold my lalloys to Penfold...

So, decision has been made. I am off to get the PS2's!!!!

Defo the right thing to do, why have great brakes if the tyres are going to not be up to the job?

SO.... WHAT SIZE DO I ORDER FOR STANDARD GT Rays?!?!?!

245/45/18 and 225/45/18?

Does that sound right?