New headlights

trackpig

Hi All

A fellow 350z driver I know is after a new set of headlights after his have become damaged by heavy duty cleaning products. " Tar and Glue remover" got onto the lights and has "crazed" the plastic lense.

Has anyone bought and fitted a set of these lights from the states?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/03-05-Nissan-350Z ... 20b7e3844a

Cheers

Has your friend got any pics of his lights?

I would try refurbing before buying new ones...

He can take the plastic lens back several layers with wet dry paper, and then work with finer grade papers before polishing with a machine buffer and that should restore the lens quality.

Failing that, those that you have linked to - there's no mention that they are for HID equipped cars - if they're not you will have to retrofit your existing ballasts and wiring to them. If they are non-HID the location for the ballast (under the light) will be blanked over, so you will have to cut the hole using a dremmel or similar.

The other problem you may experience is with the connector plug - it's probably a different shape - but you can cut off your existing plugs and retrofit them to these lights, although you'll probably lose the auto-levelling feature... :shrug:

He is currently trying the wet and dry process but the lenses seem to have many micro cracks in them.

He has had problems in the past where it looked like the top coating was peeling off in places. After using the tar and glue chemical the cracks appeared. The cracks do not seem to be very deep - only in the surface and do not grow when you flex the plastic of the lense.

I'll see if I can get some pics.

WRT the ebay ad- Are the lights in the ad from a JDM car? Do jdm cars have non xenon lights?

Cheers

I think you should tell your mate to stop using that stuff on clear plastics :lol:

Or even better stop using it altogether.

Wet & dry route and then rubbing compound, someone did a DIY on here somewhere and it only took him about half an hour per headlight.

Couldn't find the thread on here, but found this one instead

http://my350z.com/forum/repairing-and-d ... ost8048767

He is currently trying the wet and dry process but the lenses seem to have many micro cracks in them.

He has had problems in the past where it looked like the top coating was peeling off in places. After using the tar and glue chemical the cracks appeared. The cracks do not seem to be very deep - only in the surface and do not grow when you flex the plastic of the lense.

I'll see if I can get some pics.

WRT the ebay ad- Are the lights in the ad from a JDM car? Do jdm cars have non xenon lights?

Cheers

They are US spec headlights... HID's are standard on UK cars but optional on JDM and US cars.

• 2 weeks later...

fitted these to mine last year. bought from the same chap. took my hid s out as these are for halogen and i was sick of replacing ballast units. the quality is good. the locations are underside the lamp for the ballasts but you will have to change wiring plugs. bought rear led s also from him.