Short term insurance thanks to new insurance laws

rabbitstew

Well, thanks to the new "continuous insurance" law that the government has introduced this year I am in a bit of a pickle.

Just bought my 350z and got free 7 days insurance via Aviva in order for the dealer to tax it and let me drive it home. Now, I need to sell my old car.

I was planning to just leave the 350z on the driveway, un-insured but taxed and use my old car over the next week until its sold. Then simply transfer my current insurance over to the 350z and use that instead. Nice, simple and easy. The government will already make money out of me as both cars are fully taxed and MOT`d even though I will only be using one.

But now I find out that because both cars are taxed they both will need to be insured. So, I need to insure both cars even though I will only be using one. Either that or cancel the road tax on one of them.

So option A. Cancel road tax on 350z - I have already lost 2 weeks tax on it because when you get road tax out, it goes from the beginning of the month. On the other hand, when you cancel the tax you "loose" the money for the month you are on. Then in 1 weeks time renew the road tax, again having to pay for the whole month. This will cost me about £60 extra in road tax just to cancel / reapply.

Option B. Try to get some sort of short term insurance for 1 week to enable me to drive both cars. Now this seems like a sensible and cheap option. Ive 18 years NCB, am nearly 40 and not had any claims or accidents. And, if i am driving my old cheap banger of a car instead of a high risk 350z the risk to the insurance company is a lot lower. So, I would have thought insurance companies would be very keen to encourage me to drive my low risk car rather than the 350z.

But no. Premium for 12 months on my old banger car comes in at 250quid, but the cheapest "short term" quote ive had is for £160 for just 21days insurance.

Multi car policies are even worse. My 350z is costing 750quid a year to insure, and yet if I tell the insurance company I want to drive an 11 year old golf diesel 50% of the time in order to reduce my running costs and lower the risk of anything happening to the 350z by 50%, they jack this premium up to £1200 !!!! When really id have thought they would reduce it!!!

So its looking more like option a is the only way forwards...

I really dont understand why insurance cant be based upon the driver and not a specific car. They should look at the drivers experience and history. Then look at the highest risk vehicle they will be driving and base the insurance quote on that. If the driver then wants to drive any lower risk vehicles they should welcome this free of charge (and encourage it) as if an accident happens they will be paying loads less out.

Argh!

After waking up at 4:40am as im unable to sleep through thinking of this, and spending several hours searching online ive found an option c.

Option C: Get new 1 years insurance policy (wont be able to use my 18 years ncb as that can only be used on one vehicle), so cheapest quote is £500ish. Then cancel this after 1 week, which means I should get a full refund minus 1 weeks insurance cost + their "admin" fees.

I have had a quick look at the SORN legislation and there is nothing to say you have to surrender the curent tax disc, only that you have to inform them the vehicle will not be used on a road or other public place.

The no tax legislation only refers to motor vehicles seen on a pubic roads for which you could receive notification of a pending fine but this generally sent with a option to pay the back tax without any action being taken.

Therefore just tell them of you intentions to sorn the Z, leave on the drive which doen't require any insurance, except should it be stolen or damaged whilst no insurance is in palce you have no coverand will loose everything.

When you have sold the the other car insure the Z and notify the DVLA the car is no longer to be registered as SORN.

Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE)

LEGISLATION

Once the necessary regulations are drawn up, it will be an offence to be the keeper of a vehicle which is not covered by a specified policy or by a blanket policy (“open cover contractâ€) covering vehicles owned by the policyholder or other party named in the policy. There will be specific exemptions, the main two of which will be that the vehicle has been statutorily declared off the road (SORNed) or a change of keeper is in the process of being completed by the DVLA.

The latter part of the red text may just be relevent.

• 2 months later...

My wife is with esure. She currently has a 56plate mini cooper and is picking up a new car. When i rang esure to arrange extra short term insurance on the mini while we try to sell it they only quoted an extra £67 for a month in addition to a £25 admin fee to switch the main policy to her new car(premium the same as the mini so no surcharge)

Your insurer sounds like he's taking the peepee.