Bloody computer problems again!!! Any advice welcome

lomoto

I have a wireless set up for my Broadband connection, it went faulty last night, :rant: I rang the providers up (Orange )and they say they will send me out a new receiver (or Livebox as they call it)

However I seem to be able to connect to my neighbours broadband system(even though he is some distance away) albeit at a reduced strength.. Will there be any sort of repercussions doing this??if not can I cancel my subscription to Orange and carry on using the neighbours :teeth:

Its illegal under the computer misuse act 1990, constitutes "unauthorised access to a computer system or network".

Carries a 6 month prison sentence and up to £5000 fine for a section 1 offence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm

But if he is not sharp enough to turn on wireless security I doubt he is sharp enough to catch you using it. :ninja:

......unless of course it is a honeypot and he wants you to use it so he can snoop your credit card numbers........

I have a wireless set up for my Broadband connection, it went faulty last night, :rant: I rang the providers up (Orange )and they say they will send me out a new receiver (or Livebox as they call it)

However I seem to be able to connect to my neighbours broadband system(even though he is some distance away) albeit at a reduced strength.. Will there be any sort of repercussions doing this??if not can I cancel my subscription to Orange and carry on using the neighbours :teeth:

Just make sure that when you get a new router that you don't use the same Wireless Channel as your neighbour as you'll have problems connecting to it. Most routers come with a default of channel 11. This is configurable so that you can change the channel if someone else is using it......

Also make sure that you enable WEP security, so that someone else can't get access to your Wireless network.

well if the receiver works with someone else's connection, it clearly works! it's the network to yr house that seems to b the problem LOL

no I think the thing thats connected to my computer is Ok , its the joby thats connected to the telephone box in my house thats dodgy. thats why its picking up next doors not mine signal...in fact its been a bit on and off all night..I've a good mind to go next door and see if he can upgrade his system so I can get a better signal ;)

Reading a previous reply is it possible then that the neighbour can see what I'm doing on my computer :scare:

If your wireless network is not secured (ie you have not enabled encryption on your computer and wireless router) then every packet of data sent to/from your computer is available for all in range to receive and potentially interpret with the appropriate tools. [i will list them if asked but its not something I wish to encourage :teeth: ]

So what could they see/do?

Very easily they could discover every website you visit, they could easily capture your username and password for all non-encrypted sites (thats any that dont have a url prefix of https or dont display the lock icon on your status bar, this website would be one example).

With more sophisticated software they could potentially even perform a MITM attack for some secure applications but this is very unlikely for things like your internet banking (because here the session is encrypted between your computer and the bank end-to-end). They could however easily discover which bank you are with which might be useful if they have other information about you from other activity.

In adition they could connect to your wireless router and masquerade as you (ie; use your internet connection for illegal purposes).

If you are really paranoid then you should regularly change your encryption keys as a persistent attacker could discover them.

but dont panic, much of this is pretty unlikely ("dont have nightmares" he types in his best Crimewatch voice), do you really think the bloke next door is a cyber criminal who wants to exploit you? It much more likely (and easier) to get you to download a keylogger and get you banking password that way!

So once your new router arrives make sure you turn on the security features (as the earlier post said) but make sure you also have a wired Cat5 ethernet connection available because sometimes turning on the wireless security features can result in alot of heartache because you cut yourself off and then cant get back in to fix it using the wireless connection! :)

Hmm - very strange, one of the missus' frinds had the exact same experience with Orange just the other day - been working fine for ages, then stopped.

After a long phone call on supprt they too suggested that a new router was needed.

Very strange, as these things just dont stop working for no reason. I wonder of they are tring to get a new piece of hardware out to the consumers for some other reason.

/cynic.

Hmm - very strange, one of the missus' frinds had the exact same experience with Orange just the other day - been working fine for ages, then stopped.

After a long phone call on supprt they too suggested that a new router was needed.

Very strange, as these things just dont stop working for no reason. I wonder of they are tring to get a new piece of hardware out to the consumers for some other reason.

/cynic.

I had this too just last week, went down for around 2days. Spoke to Orange and they said that they had an external problem meaning that a lot of accounts were down - wonder if its the same thing.

I had loads of issues with my BT router and wireless hubs and stuff, crap signal, or my PC wouldn't see the router etc etc, now I use Homeplugs, its like having a wired 85MB network around your house, and you effectively have an outlet in every plug socket, as it uses your electrical wiring, so always near your equipment.

Nobody can 'piggyback' on that! :)

I had loads of issues with my BT router and wireless hubs and stuff, crap signal, or my PC wouldn't see the router etc etc, now I use Homeplugs, its like having a wired 85MB network around your house, and you effectively have an outlet in every plug socket, as it uses your electrical wiring, so always near your equipment.

OOoooooo never heard of those.. will look into that :thumbs:

and what makes you think your electrical wiring is not connected to the property next door? :p:teeth:

Just teasing..... the signals rarely extend beyond your electricity meter, but thats not to say they couldnt, and all homeplug stuff uses 56bit DES encryption (the better products in the range use 128bit AES which is equivalent to banking standard)

and what makes you think your electrical wiring is not connected to the property next door? :p:teeth:

Just teasing..... the signals rarely extend beyond your electricity meter, but thats not to say they couldnt, and all homeplug stuff uses 56bit DES encryption (the better products in the range use 128bit AES which is equivalent to banking standard)

Because I live on the moon... :teeth:

My point being there are less potential problems with homeplugs than wireless networks, everything can be 'hacked' at some level, luckily my direct neighbours are old folks so don't know what the Internet is. ;)

Hi Guys ...still got trauma with the internet connection, Orange have sent me out another router that still doesnt work,,still pick up my neighbours signal(also another neighbour now who's bloody miles away :headhurt: )

gone back to a wired connection, but the missus is playing hell up, because of the wire trailing up the stairs to my office..so got to pitch in a buy a router now :dry:

Two of my customers who use Orange, one at home, one in a local office, one on ADSL, the other on dial-up are having real problems sending e-mails. Works for a day, then stops working for a while, then starts again, then stops, etc.

No error messages or bounce-backs - e-mails just vanish, so I guess their SMTP servers are playing up.

Anyway, Orange are just about to lose two customers to a reliable ISP!

Just my tuppence-worth....

Two of my customers who use Orange, one at home, one in a local office, one on ADSL, the other on dial-up are having real problems sending e-mails. Works for a day, then stops working for a while, then starts again, then stops, etc.

No error messages or bounce-backs - e-mails just vanish, so I guess their SMTP servers are playing up.

Anyway, Orange are just about to lose two customers to a reliable ISP!

Just my tuppence-worth....

Yes I have had same problem with emails..I did however receive one from Orange themselves saying that they now charge £12 to supply the Migration code..Barstewards ..I bet everyone has been trying to swop over and they are trying to profit from their **** up :rant:

/cynic.

I've just been round to a friends house who's broadband dropped out last night. It is now saying there is a problem negotiating the line. Told him to speak to Orange about it and if they say there isn't a problem with them then get them to do a line test. Modem appears to be working fine.

/cynic.

I've just been round to a friends house who's broadband dropped out last night. It is now saying there is a problem negotiating the line. Told him to speak to Orange about it and if they say there isn't a problem with them then get them to do a line test. Modem appears to be working fine.

Hmmmmm sounds like something is amiss with the Orange setup, time to move on I think :dry: that is if they will give up the Migration code :rant: