new discs advice please

austin

Herro again,

the more I read, the more confused I am (assume that's normal on here though ;) ).

My girl is in the need of new front discs (brembo) and originally I was thinking about getting EBC turbo groove +yellow pads. After some reading on here though I now would be more inclined to get DBA 4600 (and probably still ebc yellowstuff), but it seems for roughly the same price of £350 I can get Brembo drilled discs (which would probably LOOK the best, but would they perform best as well?). See, I mainly do some normal to spirited driving, planning on doing few trackdays this year but no madness, so really not quite sure what to get now. I have about 3 weeks to sort this out before MOT..

DBA 4600 slotted - £350

Brembo drilled - £350

Brembo slotted - £280

+ ebc yellowstuff pads?

cheers guys,

aus

I really like the yellowstuff pads, great value for money and the new compounds are good.

As for the discs I was advised that the drilled ones will probably crack on track. Your best bet is performance friction but you will pay a premium but these are the best. ZManalex has a stock o these I'm sure and will be able to advise :yahoo:

Interesting comment on the PF disks. I have a serious amount of brake dust that come off my PF pads and oem disks. I was wondering if PF disks would reduce some of that brake dust? Only issue being the front's are £550 if my memory serves my right from Alex - which I could do without paying, although my car's in at Abbey at the weekend for a good checkover, so it may warrant new disks?

Interesting comment on the PF disks. I have a serious amount of brake dust that come off my PF pads and oem disks. I was wondering if PF disks would reduce some of that brake dust? Only issue being the front's are £550 if my memory serves my right from Alex - which I could do without paying, although my car's in at Abbey at the weekend for a good checkover, so it may warrant new disks?

I think PF pads are notorious for generating a lot of brake dust. I very much doubt changing discs to PF would change the amount of dust generated. To be honest I think PF pads are overkill for road use anyway. As you say, they cause lots of brake dust and really wear out your discs much quicker than other pads, although the benefit is they offer great stopping power. Ferrodo DS2500 offer a good compromise of low brake dust/disc wear and offer very good stopping power for fast road/occasional track use. PF discs with the Ferrodo pads are apparently a really great combination, but as you say, the discs aint the cheapest! But hey, you gotta pay to play as they say :lol:

The better your brakes are, the faster you can go which applies to road as well as the track. Personally I always saw the brake dust as a necessity if I wanted the very best in braking (which I did), and having to spend another 5 mins when washing the car was more than worth it. I genuinely don't know why people get so hung up on brake dust :shrug:

That said, cost is very much an issue with the full PF setup, and whilst I would always go for best when it comes to stopping you in truth there's nothing wrong with a set of Yellowstuff pads on any disc really. I just look at it that if you're spending that much money (and discs aren't cheap), then why not spend a little bit more and be seriously impressed with your new brakes, rather than just mildly?

The better your brakes are, the faster you can go which applies to road as well as the track. Personally I always saw the brake dust as a necessity if I wanted the very best in braking (which I did), and having to spend another 5 mins when washing the car was more than worth it. I genuinely don't know why people get so hung up on brake dust :shrug:

That said, cost is very much an issue with the full PF setup, and whilst I would always go for best when it comes to stopping you in truth there's nothing wrong with a set of Yellowstuff pads on any disc really. I just look at it that if you're spending that much money (and discs aren't cheap), then why not spend a little bit more and be seriously impressed with your new brakes, rather than just mildly?

+1 :thumbs: