Trying to decide on a Zed!

seech

Hi Seech,

Welcome to the Forum. As a newbie of nearly four months I would recommend that you get the best spec you can. I got rid of my Mitsubishi GTO and struggled to find something as good. I decided on a lower spec Zed to see if i liked it as much. Wish I had gone for the best I could get but still love what I have. What's a GTO?

Thanks Firkin.

I would (ideally) like all bells/whistles, just depends on what's available at the time.

I would like parking sensors, although not many seem to have them. I am just very used to my mrs' car - every time I drive a car without I nearly hit something waiting for the beep!

The 'Frost Grey' leather looks brilliant. But I think that it's a 313 PS model option (am I right?).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201104378452773/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/colour/black/model/350_z/make/nissan/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/m359wp?logcode=p this one looks great with the red leather.

Speaking to a Nissan salesman, he suggested that I only go for the 300 or 313 PS engine (as the earlier one only had one air intake - ?) and not to bother with Sat Nav as it's not very good. Instead use the space for a TomTom. Also I have read the interiors aren't very good quality pre 2006.

Thanks Firkin.

I would (ideally) like all bells/whistles, just depends on what's available at the time.

I would like parking sensors, although not many seem to have them. I am just very used to my mrs' car - every time I drive a car without I nearly hit something waiting for the beep!

The 'Frost Grey' leather looks brilliant. But I think that it's a 313 PS model option (am I right?).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201104378452773/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/colour/black/model/350_z/make/nissan/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/m359wp?logcode=p this one looks great with the red leather.

Speaking to a Nissan salesman, he suggested that I only go for the 300 or 313 PS engine (as the earlier one only had one air intake - ?) and not to bother with Sat Nav as it's not very good. Instead use the space for a TomTom. Also I have read the interiors aren't very good quality pre 2006.

The frost grey leather did not feature on pre 313 models, but then neither did the red although I believe it could be a special order. The interior of car you have featured does look rather B) with the black (Ebisu) exterior.

Only the 313's came with twin intakes.

In comparison to modern day sat navs, yes the OEM version is/was behind the times - rather like Nissan keeping the tape deck going for so long :doh:

Cheers Martinmac!

One last question before I move into the other sections of the site...

I test drove a Z on Sat. There was obviously some fault with the car/battery at The Car People as it wouldn't hold it's charge for longer than a day or so. Anyway. The car felt uber-rapid in 1st gear, and sounded unbelievable. But then in 2nd gear it felt pretty ordinary. Was I dreaming or is this characteristic of the engine?

That sounds strange. Firstly, if its been standing outiside during the winter the battery may have taken a bit of a battering with the cold. The battery on Imports has also been said to be a little less robust compared to the UK version. Get them to change the battery.

I cant really see that there should be a lack of response in second, the gearbox gets comments on being a little clunky in second until you get used to it but I dont have problems with power.

The second gear thing sounds strange. Generally you should get the impression of strong pulling power in most/all gears due to the torque characteristics of the engine. It almost sounds like the effect you would get if it went from 1st to 4th. Did it happen happen several times?

It felt like in 2nd gear, the car only had 180 bhp and nowhere near the eagerness of 1st. Obviously it will feel different in 1st to second with a drop in acceleration, but I thought it felt a little odd. Didn't get to stretch it in 3rd so not sure.

Sorry Neil...

Meant to say that the car felt the full 295 bhp in 1st gear, but only about 180 bhp in 2nd.

Hard to say having literally only had 5 minutes with the car. I suspect there was a fault of some kind.

Will have to have another go in another car!!