media streaming

Zugara

Anyone know how to stream media to a play station 3?

Ok, so what i have done so far.

Connected lappy to ps3 wireless. Ps3 can see the movies but comes up with error message that data is not supported. Its in wma format and enabled on ps3.

Downloaded play station media server,this won't work and keeps crashing the lappy.

Put movies on sd card, tried ntfs and fat32 formats, error message that data is not supported.

Ps3 is fully up to date.

Any more ideas? :snack:

Install TVersity media server on your pc, its easy to set up and your playstation will see it on its network lists. This work very well and is what i use, only downside is like the Xbox it can be a bit picky what files it plays on the PS3. I have over 700 films ripped in M4V type and they all stream on the PS3 but its not so good on wireless for the bigger file size movies. I also have about 20 Blu ray rips in AVI format and they also stream fine on the wired connection. Hope this helps

Install TVersity media server on your pc, its easy to set up and your playstation will see it on its network lists. This work very well and is what i use, only downside is like the Xbox it can be a bit picky what files it plays on the PS3. I have over 700 films ripped in M4V type and they all stream on the PS3 but its not so good on wireless for the bigger file size movies. I also have about 20 Blu ray rips in AVI format and they also stream fine on the wired connection. Hope this helps

+1 This apparently works well. I've asked around my geeky colleagues and they say its ace.

Bradders.

PS3 media server for me. Wifi wont work very well for streaming, use a wired connection if you can. If you connect the PS3 to lappy via an ethernet (network) cable, then set the IP address of the PS3 to use the IP address of the lappy as the "default gateway" and do the same for the lappy. This way they will see each other. For some reason on the PS3 you have to set the default gateway to be the lappy for it to work, on xbox, they just see each other :bangin:

Sony will have picked FAT32 for external drives for 2 reasions - 1. Its free, no need to license it and 2. because its old, it only allows file sizes up to 4GB which is good for piracy as it doesnt allow decent rips of Blurays ;)

Also - MKV is a container, not a codec, there can be all sorts of video and audio formats within an MKV file. PS3 will support most of the codecs used within MKV, they just need to be put into a container that the PS3 will like - H264 is the most commonly used and is supported by PS3. This is largely what PS3mediaserver does, and when there isnt a codec the PS3 supports, it will transcode to one that it does like.