Fan & temp switch test

Markyf

Have read quite a bit here about cooling fan problems and I think my Z may be a victim. Before I shell out a load on new fans I would like to test them and the temp switch.

There are four wires going into the fans. Which should I apply 12v and ov to?

Is the temp switch a straight switch once temp is reached or does it change resitance with temp and feed a control unit then relay. Oh and wheres the relay?

Finally roughly what position will the temp gauge be in for the fans to cut in. Mine normally sits at just below half way when on a run.

Thanks

Thanks bud.

With fans still fitted could only get the one on the NS to struggle into life. Can these be reconditioned or alternate units purchased in the UK.

Have seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-NI ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07-NI ... ccessories

But imagin they are not direct replacements and will need the loom modified which I wanted to try and keep away from. Want the car to remain std as pos.

Just fitted a set of standard fan's which i bought from Alex which he did for a very good price, one of the old ones would not work at all and the second would only turn very slowly took about one hour to swap them over.

Max.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help guys.

I took the fans off ready to replace them but would the contacts were a bit coroded which you could not see when installed. Cleaned these and they both came to life. :D

Only thing now is that since the boil over due to the fans not working I get a faint smell of coolant once the engine id up to temp ( just below mid way on gauge) Cant find any leaks though. Also if I give the car a bit of stick I also get a arm rubber smell. Thought this may be slipping front belt but they seem ok.