Thinking of getting a bike...

djrm

Hi people!

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Bike for the summer... GSXR600 or something. Anyone on here an biker? Thoughts / guidance?

Thanks B)

And feel free to post up photos of your bikes if you feel the urge ;)

Yes / Gixxer is good / try loads

My advice is to try different types of bikes. The Gixxer (and any supersport 600) is good but VERY focused.

I traded my ZX6R for a Z1000 as I got a sore neck and realised that I wanted a bike to be out in the open air enjoying the Scottish scenery. I wasn't interested in tracking the bike or riding head down, arse up flat out everywhere.

I sold my Yamaha R6 a couple of years ago her in doors hated me driving it and it was only a matter of time before I lost my license so in the summer months I use for work a Suzuki AN400 it's a twist and go that tops 100mph seats 2 comfortably and stick the helmets under the seat if you want to walk around somewhere they really are worth considering. Also the insurance is £95 full comp and tax £32 :D:D

Suzuki-AN-400-Burgman-2005-03.jpg

I've got one of these, which is my transport for work. Aprila Dorsoduro 750 twin

2010-Aprilia-Dorsoduro-750-Red-Edition.jpg

Awesome!

My mate at work had one (with MIVVs) and it was gooooood! I maxed it out overtaking cars over glenshee!

The Dorsoduro 1200 is out now or very soon.... :teeth:

Do it! But be prepared to find cars totally boring performance-wise from then on.

If you just want to use it for fun then the GSXR600 will be great! If you want to commute go for something like a Hornet/Fazer (cue lots of "I ride my fireblade to work" comments). You can use any bike for anything but you'll be much happier on something a little less sporty for the trek to work.

Anyhoo... to convince you to get one, here are mine!

DSCN0567-1.jpg

Thought you'd appreciate some eye candy rather than my ugly mug!

IMG_0792.jpg

V_Rod.jpg

SM3.jpg

i love sports bikes, but fancy a cruiser, i don't think my knee will take being bent up on a sports bike for prolonged periods, but it would be the toy for weekends etc.

also reckon i would kill myself on a sports bike within 2 weeks, but probably last longer on a big harly style cruiser :shrug:

Thats a photo shoot from long ago..

this is my bike....

Tuono??? (sp)

Very nice.

That shoot is about 15 years old. 'Olivia' used to be in Max Power etc when I was a loon!

Sack riding a 'blade (insert any supersport bike name) to work. You'd be a mentalist to put yourself through that pain!

Cant remember her name. Sorry. This was taken as a cover shot for BSH. |About 2003 ish

Yeah a Tuono. With akra's :-) Sounds unbelievable flat out, like being chased by a spitfire :thumbs:

Love it. I've had FZR's Ninjas and so on but this is the bike I will never sell. 125BHP at the wheel. 165 mph top end. looks utterly beautiful. Nothing else comes close. It even came with a 4 year warranty when I bought it ! Love it to bits.

Thers nothing out there that I would swap it for. Not to everyones tatse obviously, but thats the point of choice isnt it ?

get the bike YOU want not the one your mates wish they could buy. Best piece of advice I could possibly give :-)

Love it. I've had FZR's Ninjas and so on but this is the bike I will never sell. 125BHP at the wheel. 165 mph top end. looks utterly beautiful. Nothing else comes close. It even came with a 4 year warranty when I bought it ! Love it to bits.

Thers nothing out there that I would swap it for. Not to everyones tatse obviously, but thats the point of choice isnt it ?

As a Z1000 owner the tuono is right up my street. Something with speed, comfort and cool.

Ok, Mines an I4 but the style is very similar.

Pics of mine are here - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35763&start=30

I still have never posted pics of the new exhausts though.... :blush: I haven't ridden it with the new exhausts either! :surrender:

Wow thanks for all the advice / photos guys!

Basically, I have never rode a bike before but have always loved the idea of getting one...

A lot of my mates have Moto-X bikes and go to local tracks to ride regularly so it's a bit of a toss-up between getting a licence and a R6 or something with one lot of mates or a Moto-X bike + trailer etc and go off-road with another lot!

I am so keen on the idea for the summer than selling the Z, getting a smaller car and getting a Moto-X + road bike actually crossed my mind! :scare: But I don't think I would do that, purely because I might hate riding and then regret selling the Z!

This bike is for sale around the corner for me for about 1500... my mate says that's a bargain considering it's an 06 a well... Tooooooo tempting!!

ktm125.jpg

I wouldn't mind that and I'm sure that's a grand below normal price!

I'd go to a field and have a go of one of your mates motoX bikes.

See how you like it.

Good idea.. I'm sure I will love it to be honest... I grew up on a massive farm in Zimbabwe and loved nothing more than caning it all over the place on my mountain bike! B)

Nice bike. For the road you could even get a pair of supermoto wheels and swap them back and forth if you're on/off road.

djrm...Not a friend of richie don are you?

I sure am... He's a good mate of mine actually.. You know him?

So is that all you need to do in order to use the bike on the road? I was under the impression that they were track only and not legal at all on the road?