Is the CD dead?

Daryl

Blu rays are awesome though

Yeah, but you can get HD downloads anyway now, it's just a case of having the right gear to play back. I remember laughing at a mate who had a garden shed full of VHS, and them bought most of them again on DVD! :bangin:

HD Downloads don't compare to Blu-Ray. The resolution isnt quite there and the framerate is severly cut in most instances (im citing Apple TV).

Physical media is on it's way out but the transition won't happen properly until the UK has the IT infrastructure to support it. Virgin medias 50meg broadband is the only ISP that can really support this at the moment. Arguably the 20meg Virgin broadband could cover it but since they throttle it after 4gig and the average HD movie (blu-ray) is 25gig its a bit of a moot point.

It's going to take BT at least 5 years to roll BT Infinity (40meg broadband) out to the UK and that still exlcudes rural area's.

In short Blu-Ray wont take iff in the same way DVD did but its still a valid format with a good lifespan of 5-7 years briging the point we are at now to the death of physical media. Certainly after Blu-Ray we won't see another widely adopted physical media come along.

Yeah, i agree with the above points. I certainly don't watch enough tv or films to justify buying a load of HD gear, I might get a new TV this year sometime (still on my 28" CRT) and an upscaling DVD player will be fine for me. Any films I watch these days come via the internet anyway. If there's a film I'm dying to see, I'll go to the cinema to see it anyway, a lot cheaper than turning my front room in to a cinema.

Yeah, i agree with the above points. I certainly don't watch enough tv or films to justify buying a load of HD gear, I might get a new TV this year sometime (still on my 28" CRT) and an upscaling DVD player will be fine for me. Any films I watch these days come via the internet anyway. If there's a film I'm dying to see, I'll go to the cinema to see it anyway, a lot cheaper than turning my front room in to a cinema.

Couln't disagree more. Maybe it's deff where you are but the cinema costs a wallet busting £11 a ticket where I am (£1 more for 3D).

My 50" plasma cost £700. By that maths going to the cinema 28 times would be the same as buying a kick ass TV that will last you years.

I don't bother with the cinema now unless its a very visual film like Avatar.

cinema is a rip off now. only buy blueray for awesome films etc, tend to rent alot but stopped when BB stopped doing 4 for 10 quid. now i tend to rent them through sky.

might even go back to love film.

as for hard media it still has its place. but its a shrinking market.

HD Downloads don't compare to Blu-Ray. The resolution isnt quite there and the framerate is severly cut in most instances (im citing Apple TV).

A well done 1080p BluRay RIP measuring about 8-10GB isn't bad... takes a while to download 8-10GB though.

The question is,is it worth buying this one,http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde-w203ri.html,or shall i be done with it,and buy this one http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ixa-w407bt.html

Im thinking that it would be nice to have a CD player,but then,if i had the more expensive one,id just plug in my iphone,and have all my music. PLlus the expensive one has bluetooth phone,and will display all calls etc,which would be awesome,as i make a fair few calls in my car,and the std hands free is pretty shocking.

Couln't disagree more. Maybe it's deff where you are but the cinema costs a wallet busting £11 a ticket where I am (£1 more for 3D).

My 50" plasma cost £700. By that maths going to the cinema 28 times would be the same as buying a kick ass TV that will last you years.

I don't bother with the cinema now unless its a very visual film like Avatar.

£5.50 at my local cinema, plus an extra pound for 3d. As I only go once every two months max, it's not the same for me as coughing up a lump sum for a big telly. I rarely feel the need to watch a film more than once or twice anyway.

I always think with stuff like this it always depends on your personal preference - if you're still playing CDs in the car, then get something with a CD player. If you don't, then spend the dosh on something that doesn't have a CD player.

Personally, I stopped buying CDs years ago when I transferred all my CDs to MP3. But just recently, I've started buying CDs again. The main reason is that I keep finding that I had stuff on my ipod or a laptop or somewhere and I can't find it anymore. Now I find there's been a whole bunch of albums released in the past 5-6 years that I never bought but wished I had because I either just downloaded individual singles or I changed my hardware so many times in those years I can't be sure what hard drive it's on out of the whole bunch I've got lying around the house. So now I'm making sure I've got the actual CDs so I have an uncompressed hard copy - and I've always been much more careful with my CDs :)

... probably still wouldn't buy a CD player for the car though, I had too many bad experiences with them not working properly or scratching the CDs.

CDs won't go away though, in much the same way that vinyl never really disappeared.