New guy

Hi guys, thought I'd introduce myself. I've been reading the forum for a while, doing some research on the 350z with the hope of buying one in the near future.

I had a short drive in one recently and I loved it although the roads didn't allow me to really try it out properly but I got enough of a feel for it to know that I want one!! It sounded amazing too

I'm now considering going for an import (already in the UK) in order to save some money and I think I'm aware of most of the differences between imports and UK models. if anyone can offer any advice it would be appreciated.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that imports sound different i.e. not as nice as UK models (may be just imagining this) - is this true? would be a shame if it is because the one I drove sounded great.

the salesman at the nissan dealership made a point of telling me that imports "were crap" and there "were lots of problems with them". I hadn't even mentioned imported cars so they've obviously got a thing about it. I had been reading this site for a while and felt I had some knowledge so I questioned him on this and the only thing he came up with was "you only get one set of keys". hmm

Anyway, hi to everyone and expect more questions from me.

cheers,

limby

Guest prescience

The JDM car has a different exhaust I believe - or at least the exhaust note is different, I forget which

and tim is correct, he was talking b*llox

The JDM car has a different exhaust I believe - or at least the exhaust note is different, I forget which

exhaust looks same as a UK one?? think its another urban myth put about by hard pressed salesmen in UK dealerships ;) difficult to prove either way... besides which most dont stay in standard trim long B)

Guest prescience

exhaust looks same as a UK one?? think its another urban myth put about by hard pressed salesmen in UK dealerships ;) difficult to prove either way... besides which most dont stay in standard trim long B)

You could be right - most of the differences are VERY minor, the difference in price is not justified on that basis. Warranty though is useful for newer cars

You could be right - most of the differences are VERY minor, the difference in price is not justified on that basis. Warranty though is useful for newer cars

only reason i'd buy a UK car is for the warranty aspect, that is of course if I was going to keep it standard :blush:

Guest prescience

only reason i'd buy a UK car is for the warranty aspect, that is of course if I was going to keep it standard :blush:

Agreed TBH I was a bit of mug buying UK and then doing all my mods - but I did want one from new at the time

Agreed TBH I was a bit of mug buying UK and then doing all my mods - but I did want one from new at the time

No you cant beat buying a new car, just wish I could afford one :dry:

thanks guys. i think the best thing would be as AndyC says and go to a import dealer and see (and hear) the difference for myself.

on the warranty issue, a good import dealer should offer some sort of warranty, albeit limited, shouldn't they? i.e. 3-6months

it did seem that the salesman made a point of trying to put me off imports. Sales at UK dealerships must be quite badly affected by the grey import market it seems, maybe they should think about lowering their prices!

Welcome aboard! :thumbs:

Do a search to get the inside line on JDM's and any issues. It's worth remembering that we have only base and GT models here but imports come in many guises. There's a wealth of knowledge here and plenty who'll fall over themselves to help you. I, of course, know jack sh1t!!! :teeth:

Ahoy-hoy!!

I wouldn't worry too much about whether you get an import or a UK car. Read up the this forum for some useful information on the differences etc.

It can be simpler to buy an import that has already been owned by someone in the UK as it will (should) have been converted and setup ready to go. The only problem that people seem to suffer from is hidden charges, so that £14k bargain turns into a £16k not-quite-so bargain. There is a thread here somewhere about Bonsai Cars for example, that could be worth a read.

But then I have a UK car from eBay, so what do I know?

I dont believe anything a main dealer sales rep tells me, at best they are badly informed/trained, and at worst they attempt to mislead you. (Disclaimer: I have come across some exceptions to this, but they seem to be a minority)

I always find there is much more knowledge and information on forums and owners clubs such as this, so its best to do your research and know what you want before you go to a dealership, that way you will be able to smell the bull***t a mile off.

All IMHO of course :D