Dead ALL READY?!?!?!?!

slimjim

Being the consciousness driver that I am.... I parked up the Zed after the Ice Photo shoot last week and decided not to use it till this weather blows over.

Saying that, I knew I would need to keep starting her up to make sure the battery stayed in check and here were no issues with her.

Just gone to start her up and sit in her for 20 mins and she is DEAD... totally flat! :rant:

I don't have a charger (trickle or otherwise) and the wife has taken the other car which I could jump it from to work....

Anyone else have this issue with batteries? I mean it has only been about 4 or 5 days. :headhurt:

Or could it be the -20ish weather last night finished it off? :cold:

if you know you are going to be leaving the car sat you should disconnect the battery, then connect it when you want to tick over and disconnect again afterwards. stops them draining.

pretty useless info for you now but you will know for next time ;)

Thing is.. it has only been like 4 or 5 days ...

Should it not just be fine for that length of time?

I drove here in, so I could let her run with the exhaust pointing out of the garage. Going to be a right royal PITA to charge/jump her now :(

Depends on what condition the battery was before you left it. How old is it? The Zed can be quite picky about the battery state, remember you are trying to turn over a 3.5l lump ;)

I guess you are right...

Will look into getting a new one :(

Any recommendations.... under £100! :D

Im not going ANYWHERE in the Zed in this Weather :D

Drove about a bit yesterday in the Shed (Tam will kill me, her A3 is her pride and joy!) and was VERY impressed with how it handled in the snow.

Stopped well on the sludge/ice, no twitching at all, even on corners.

I pushed it a little on a big round about and the back end let go, but only because I was pushing it to do so (as there was no-one about)

Zed is staying where it is! :cold:

Looks like a good idea...

But I think a decent battery would be a better investment.

Any recommendations? ... and I am presuming it is a BALL ACHE to get at the battery to replace it?

Any recommendations? ... and I am presuming it is a BALL ACHE to get at the battery to replace it?

I just got a Halfords battery for mine, seemed to do the job. Fitting is dead easy too, just get the service manual downloaded and you'll be fine. You have to remove quite a bit of plastic trim around the battery and bottom of the window, but it all slots back together easy enough, just take your time - especially as its cold and the plastic will be brittle.

I just got a Halfords battery for mine, seemed to do the job. Fitting is dead easy too, just get the service manual downloaded and you'll be fine. You have to remove quite a bit of plastic trim around the battery and bottom of the window, but it all slots back together easy enough, just take your time - especially as its cold and the plastic will be brittle.

I think I will go and remove the neg connector and just leave it till it warms up and/or I need to use it :)

Wouldnt use this one - its only for upto 2.5l engines. I beleive they do a bigger one, or some kind of add-on for this for bigger engines - my mate who works at Halfords has one and its far larger than that one ;)

EDIT - this is the beastie - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65629#dtab

With the amount of snow that's been on mine lately and with being on holiday i hadnt started her for around a month. I finally got to start her the other day and put the jump leads onto the van so I pulled the power from there instead off the zed battery and went first time which was surprising as iv had the car over three years and never changed the battery

With the amount of snow that's been on mine lately and with being on holiday i hadnt started her for around a month. I finally got to start her the other day and put the jump leads onto the van so I pulled the power from there instead off the zed battery and went first time which was surprising as iv had the car over three years and never changed the battery

Your time will come matey. Mine lasted into the forth year then suddenly it decided it didnt want to play any more. Would fire no problems after being left for days, then all of a sudden, being left for more than 2 would kill it. :surrender:

if you know you are going to be leaving the car sat you should disconnect the battery, then connect it when you want to tick over and disconnect again afterwards. stops them draining.

Agreed but ensure you follow the instructions in the manual before you disconnect, if not you'll have problems with the window motors.

Agreed but ensure you follow the instructions in the manual before you disconnect, if not you'll have problems with the window motors.

Anyone give me a heads up on this?

Same thing has happened with ours mate.

I bagged up a halfords charger (I could require correcting but a trickle charger is actually a waste of time unless the battery is already in good condition........the point is it 'trickle' charges as the battery naturally loses its charge......it won't charge one thats dead already.

Try this one instead - 40 squid from Helfords.........it charges then goes into trickle mode. It got the battery back up to speed but we were only using it for 7 mile round trip to work and it died again 3 days later.......I think the cold it a major factor.

Leaving it off until after Xmas now and see how it goes with a good run under its belt.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165629

Also its worth checking if its a wet cell that the cells are topped up with Ionised water........if not it won't charge.

Apparently once topped up and your start charging you'll see them start to bubble a little (making sure its ventilated wherever your charging it)............if even 1 of the cells doesn't bubble then the battery is FUBAR.

........or so I'm told.