Anyone know anything about computers? Help needed

KurtB

Hi,

I got this portable external usb hard drive for my laptop which I was using to keep all my files on. Normally when I plug it in, the laptop automatically recognises it, and opens and shows the files. Now for no aparant reason when I plug it in now, it does nothing for a couple of minutes, and says the disc needs to be formatted, and i cant access my files.

I am aware that formatting it will delete all my files off it, so is there any way I can get the files off it before I format it so I dont lose my stuff on it. If not, I will just have to bite the bullet.

Its a 500gb Seagate if that is any help. Thanks

Hmm sounds like it's corrupted somehow. Can happen if it's unplugged while still transferring data or not ejected properly 1st...

Search online for a program called 'Hetman File Recovery', it's a good file recovery program and has helped me in the past...

Hope this helps!

Ryan

Find other PC's you can try it with too, if you have access to any? If you get no joy with that, or the recovery programs suggested, is the device under warranty still? Seagate may be able to recover the data?

What model number is it btw? Most of these things are just standard 3.5" HDD's in a shell, so there are more things you can try if worst comes to worst.

Most of these things are just standard 3.5" HDD's in a shell, so there are more things you can try if worst comes to worst.

I've had a couple of the enclosures fail on me without warning. With some of them it's easy to take the enclosures apart with others you need brute force. First of all, when you plug it in stick it by your ear and listen to the disk, is it spinning up, is it making a clicking sound? Try the disk on another computer, if that still doesn't work remove the disk from the enclosure if possible and connect it up inside another PC. Does this disk need a power supply? If it doesn't then it's likely to be a 2.5 inch drive which makes things a bit awkward. You should also have a look at the disk using Control Panel/ Administrative tools/ Computer Management/Storage/ Disk Management and see if any issues are highlighted.

I feel its unlikely to be corruption more likely either the HD or the electronics unit in the enclosure has failed, hopefully the latter. If I'm right then software recovery probably won't work. I do have some specialized diagnostics software available if required ;) .

Pete

I've had exactly this problem with a couple of portable 2.5" disks. It turned out to be the cable which, for some reason, had too much resistance or whatever, so the motor of the disk would not spin properly. Replaced it with an iPod charger cable and all was fine.

This doesn't apply if you use an external power supply (i.e. if it's a 3.5" disk).