Roadster V's Coupe - Anyone driven both ?

Dan

I've just sold a Coupe and am considering a Roadster next. I would just like to know from anyone who has driven both, does the Roadster suffer from scuttle shake at all ?

Any additional comments would be appreciated, particularly concerning leaks, road noise etc.

Thanks in advance.

I had a roadster for a week. Did 1000 miles in it.

Was soo glad to get my coupe back . skuttleshake city. Also the seating position is shorter to accomodate the hood. (Im 6' 5 ) DIved into potholes and genrally wanst as pleasing as the coupe. Although sounded better and less road noise!

But no thanks.

I looked at a roadster (although only briefly) and was a little disappointed in it. I had a Megane Cabriolet at the time and was comparing the two.

The Megane had a double skinned roof which hid the folding mechanism (which was visible in the Z). The second skin was also a light colour which really brightened up the interior of the car (the interior of the Z was quite dark in comparison). The passenger seat in the Z tips forward to allow the roof to fold away and there's only about half the boot space compared to the coupe.

On the plus side you are quite protected from wind buffeting (at least compared to the Megane). There's a glass rear screen - the plastic ones turn yellow after a while and can crack.

Oh, and there's nothing like being able to put the roof down at the slightest bit of sun. Everything else pails into insignificance...

Couldn't tell you what the two were like to drive in comparison - didn't do that many miles in the roadster. At the end of the day it's all about personal preference. The roadster didn't quite fit in with what I was after - but I will miss my Megane next summer.

Hi,

I drove both before making a decision.

The decision you come to is a very personal thing. I went for the Roadster and am very happy with the decision. If I were you, have a word with your local Nissan Dealer and see if you can borrow a Roadster for a weekend. December is a bad month for car sales so go in and ask then. I do not think they will be selling many £30k cars just before Christmas. Just an idea. :)

I bought a Roadster because that was what I wanted and couldn't get a test drive as there were no UK models in the country at the time.

My test drive consequently was in the Coupe which I loved but not for one minute did it make me want to get the Coupe instead - added to that, at the time I was supposed to be waiting 15 months for the roadster to arrive where the Coupe would have been a few months or whatever the wait was at the time.

At the end of the day, you either want to be driving a convertible or a coupe and that should be enough to make you decide.

I was fortunate enough to be able to drive not only the import coupe that JC slated but one of the first and one of the latest european coupes in the UK and also the first roadster, dont ask its a long boring story, and the real feel i got was that whilst the coupe had a little more poise mainly down to the weight distribution and probably the ability to cut out the noise by closing the windows (couldnt figure out why they would want this feature tho...) the roadster still felt a little more rigid torsionally when being driven hard.

I personally would have gone for the Roadster but in my line of work a Land Rover is more appropriate now.

A very personal decision but the whole concept has beautiful sounds and handle like a dream (dont turn off the electrical assistance or it wont).

Take a spirited spin in both and make your own decision.

Happy spinning....

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Now I am hurt by the intimation of that.

No I was a Technical Course Writer for Nissan now I run a training department for a major financial company in the UK. Miles upon miles for meeting and discussion groups, so not really appropriate for a Zed so I use the LR and a Galaxy to munch the miles and spend most weekends playing with a pair of Triumph GT6s.

Coupe from the sixties just in case.

I own a Coupe but looked at one of the first Roadsters when I was decision making. I was moving from a Saab Convertible so I knew all the wonders of top down motoring (there's at least one day in every month you can comfortably take the top down.... But .....

Soft tops get to look worn quite quickly, and, IMO, the Roadster looks ugly with the top up. Maybe Ugly is too strong, but its not a head turner.

My next convertible has to be a hard-top....

I hired a roadster for a week and I actually loved it. I think it looks fantastic with the hood up or down and there's nothing to beat driving with the hood down, sun out and among tall buildings to the soundtrack of that fantastic engine. Mind you, the fact that I was driving it around Monaco might have something to do with it :-D

That said, I bought a coupe. The only reason really was the price - just couldnt streatch to a roadster. However I was also concerned about security if I left it anywhere overnight.

Certainly if anyone offered a swap of a roadster for my coupe I'd jump at the chance.

Still wouldnt have any other car than a Z though.

Chris

Well, we bought a roadster, as it was a replacement for the missus car, which was an MX5, we just couldnt bear to be without the fun of top down motoring in the summer.

There would, for us, always be that moment in the heat of summer, even though we were in a 350Z, that we would look across to the convertible xr3i or 206, and think to ourselves - damn, wish we had the convertible now.

I have to agree with others though, with the top up, it most certainly hasnt got the looks of the coupe, but with the top down, its just great.

We took the coupe for a test drive, but always wanted a roadster, and bought a roadster without even having driven one. The funniest point for me is that due to the rake of the rear window on the coupe, and the almost vertical position of the window on the roadster, I actually find that the visibility is better in the roadster than the coupe. The rear quarter though is another matter.

Both myself and the missus have questioned our decision to go for the roadster, usually on days that it has rained, but then again on days like the wales drive out and other meets, we couldnt have been happier with our choice.

The only thing that I dont like, is that without some form of kit or spoiler, the bum of the roadster looks (and is) very big. So thats on the agenda to fix by way of a spoiler of kit at some time.

Only you will be able to make the decision, but my advice would be to try and get a test drive of a roadster when you have the chance to put the roof down for a while, perhaps on a sunny day (hard to find now).