Manual or Auto? Looking to buy soon

chrisgunton

Ello all,

My Mazda has just gone through it's MOT so it's time to sell up and look for a Z :D (anyone interested in a turbo MX5 as a track toy?)

I can't decide if I want a manual or automatic (manualmatic?).

I don't like the styling of the auto shifter, but I do like the prospect of fitting paddle shift.

I've never owned an auto before - I've preferred the involvement of slipping up through the gears.

Thoughts?

don't think the zed is the best car as an auto. just personal opinion, think it suits being a manual far better. others may disagree.

Disagree not just because I have a trip. The zed is lovely auto as if your using it as the daily it's perfect. The low down grunt means it's effortless and when you want to make progress sport mode is great. Boot the accelerator and away you go. I say the large torque zed is ideal for a sports auto then say an s2k. The s2k would make an awful auto as it comes alive much higher up(honestly not a dig rich) just the nature of the beast. That's why the s2k is very involving I suppose. The triptronic is also great when your on the b roads or on track. Flick it to go up or down and it's sequential once you get used to it, it's great.

don't think the zed is the best car as an auto. just personal opinion, think it suits being a manual far better. others may disagree.

Disagree not just because I have a trip. The zed is lovely auto as if your using it as the daily it's perfect. The low down grunt means it's effortless and when you want to make progress sport mode is great. Boot the accelerator and away you go. I say the large torque zed is ideal for a sports auto then say an s2k. The s2k would make an awful auto as it comes alive much higher up(honestly not a dig rich) just the nature of the beast. That's why the s2k is very involving I suppose. The triptronic is also great when your on the b roads or on track. Flick it to go up or down and it's sequential once you get used to it, it's great.

I recon Honda know that their power band is higher up... so I am pretty sure if you hit the loud pedal, it won't change up till 9-12ish k :)

Yeah, drive both. Decide yourself...

IMHO..

If you want a more relaxing motor to drive (why are you buying a Zed anyway?) then get an auto, with the ability to boot it as well.

But to get the most out of the car... you either need manual... or at LEAST Tiptronic...

:thumbs:

no offense taken d block, different cars, engines and gear boxes make for different drives, i don't have a lot of experience with auto's. i do agree that the extra torque makes driving it as an auto very usable on long drives extra; turning it in to a comfortable cruiser.

but i know from others that some auto boxes can ruin a car and make it feel numb to drive.

i stil stand by what i said; try both and see what you like, for the zed i thought the manual was the better option and more envolved; but that was just my opinion. and everyone is different.

Try both and see which you like. I agree with Rich, on the 350z, the auto isnt quick enough for me, and no paddles either unless you buy a kit which I think they do make now, but its very expensive. So my choice would be the 6MT.

On the 370z though, auto FTW - just because its what I chose :lol:

Try both and see which you like. I agree with Rich, on the 350z, the auto isnt quick enough for me, and no paddles either unless you buy a kit which I think they do make now, but its very expensive. So my choice would be the 6MT.

On the 370z though, auto FTW - just because its what I chose :lol:

the auto on the 370 is a different kettle of chips and that would be my first choice to try before i buy. as it has the auto blip on down changes and the paddle gear change.

no offense taken d block, different cars, engines and gear boxes make for different drives, i don't have a lot of experience with auto's. i do agree that the extra torque makes driving it as an auto very usable on long drives extra; turning it in to a comfortable cruiser.

but i know from others that some auto boxes can ruin a car and make it feel numb to drive.

i stil stand by what i said; try both and see what you like, for the zed i thought the manual was the better option and more envolved; but that was just my opinion. and everyone is different.

Exactly mate :thumbs:

IMO if you want an out in out sports car then a manual or maybe not a 350, but if your stuck in traffic and its your daily driver that 0.5 second slower on the upshift wont bother you. I love the auto as its just a joy to drive daily. I would probably get annoyed with a manual when im coming home tired. Its also abit point and squirt which is nice.

Exactly mate :thumbs:

IMO if you want an out in out sports car then a manual or maybe not a 350, but if your stuck in traffic and its your daily driver that 0.5 second slower on the upshift wont bother you. I love the auto as its just a joy to drive daily. I would probably get annoyed with a manual when im coming home tired. Its also abit point and squirt which is nice.

i think my next car will be a semi auto, been looking at smg II and DSG boxes as they are apparently very good and quicker than a manual.

I tried both the auto and the manual and went for the auto :thumbs: . The reasoning behind this was the manual has a very stiff clutch that I personally didn't fancy fighting with everytime I went out.

It's the third auto iv had fto and alfa selespeed and definitely the best. But my only worry is that auto boxes are very expensive to repair - god forbid. Also if u do go for the auto it will be a import that might mean that u only pay 200ish road tax instead of 400 ish like me :teeth:

I tried both the auto and the manual and went for the auto :thumbs: . The reasoning behind this was the manual has a very stiff clutch that I personally didn't fancy fighting with everytime I went out.

It's the third auto iv had fto and alfa selespeed and definitely the best. But my only worry is that auto boxes are very expensive to repair - god forbid. Also if u do go for the auto it will be a import that might mean that u only pay 200ish road tax instead of 400 ish like me :teeth:

never heard of a auto on a zed have problems. only ever heard the manuals go pop.

The manual 370 has syncro rev match so no need to go for auto... ;)

I personally prefer a manual but I'm not driving in traffic much with the Zed.

As has been said, try both. Neither are particularly troublesome and each will have their own merits and drawbacks.

the auto on the 370 is a different kettle of chips and that would be my first choice to try before i buy. as it has the auto blip on down changes and the paddle gear change.

I knew the manual had auto-blip, didn't even consider if the auto would as well, makes sense I suppose. Still, manual for me always (maybe paddles)... I'm not that lazy yet! :p

The manual 370 has syncro rev match so no need to go for auto... ;).

If you cant even be bothered to heel/toe, you may as well get the auto :p

I found the new pedal hinge (floor hinge), made heel toe a bit awkward in the 370z which spurred me more to try the auto this time. Not regretting going for the 7AT yet ;)