accelera tyres

r111nxx

I know people will curse me for this post…but we all have different views and driving style :drive1 ….I have these tyres on the back (yes that mean I mix front to back – cue abuse :teeth: ).

I don’t drive the Zed on tracks or particularly fast, yes these tyre have slipped in the wet but with close to 300bhp and no weight at the back most tyre will give at some point…..

I have had not problem with these tyre at all, and I had the same advice – i.e they are better or as good as OEM tyres…They are very hard and I think would last a long time.

Would I use these tyres on the track…ummmmm no but they are perfectly fine for the British road and my style of driving. I would be willing to bet that most drivers on here would be able to push the tyres to there true limit. What I mean is that if the back does kick out its likely to be a driver error rather than the tyres…

Saying all that it is all down to personal choice….

Yep personal choice is the key at the end of the day. E.g I had the Falkens on my MR2 REV4 a few years back and they were totally cack on that, the rears used to inflate themselves to nearly 50psi on a long run on a hot day???? Also the side walls felt like jelly. So i'd never choose them for the Zed..

On a different note, for all of us in the south, Micheldever Tyres near Winchester will price match anything on the net and fit so long as they can find it on the net on computer at the till..

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my Zed, this brand was fitted on the front!! Hopeless and totally unbalanced the car, I had one big high speed brown pant moment, which promted them been bined the next day. I had them replaced for oem RE50A rubber, which are great. They had only covered a few hundred miles. Such a waste money for the previous owner.

Given the amount we spend on acquiring the cars in the first place and that just about the most important part of the car is the tyres (because everything the car does has to be routed through them), my view would be to get the best tyres you possibly can. I am personally very pleased that I went for the 050As but I only did that after I gave myself a good talking to - there is something about tyre shopping that draws you in to a Herculean type quest irrespective! Sometimes I seem to put more time into trying to buy the tyres more cheaply than I do into buying the actual car. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have these Accelera tyres on the rear of my car. Not because I put them on I will add but because I bought the car with them fitted. They are your typical budget tyres with fat bulging side walls. Grip wise they are fine, considering I have continental sport contacts on the front I don't have an unstable rear end at all - if anything it has way too much grip wet or dry which is disappointing as you have to REALLY put the boot in to get any throttle steer action. The real issue with them is wear rate, they looked nearly new when I bought the car last July and 5000 miles or so later they are on the 2mm tread wear indicators. They will be replaced with Falkens rear, but not decided whether to go for Falkens front or Continentals as I like a car with more grip up front than rear ;)

I used to run a michelin dealership, you are paying for their durability not road holding abilities.

What, Michelins? Maybe with their pikey stuff, but certainly not the Pilot Sport range.

I don't they have ever sold 'pikey' stuff! They have been the most expensive tyres for a long time now. They are great tyres but I have never ever seen them on top of any tyre shoot outs in terms of dry or wet grip. For durability they are incredible, we used to find they would have to be replaced because they were getting perished after being on the car for so long rather than from lack of tread, this was quite a while ago mind. I remember running pilot sports on my car at the time and swapping for yokohama's finding a rather large increase in grip and less understeer - mind you that was a REALLY long time ago and the car was a Citroen Visa GTi which I am sure most of you have never heard of (and I wish I had never heard of it too!!!) :blush:

I should also add, best tyres I ever had on one of my RX7's (barring my Dunlop DO1J's) were Goodyear Eagle F1 gsd3 (or something like that) amazing road holding in the wet.

gsd3's are awesome tyres :thumbs: Only grip is that they are poo through puddles compared to my winter tyres though.