Car cover or not?

Daryl

RIght im off to Thailand for 10 days tomorrow morning,and iv not had a chance to wash the Zed for a week or so. The question is,do i put the car cover on it while im away,and while the car is dirty (and risk moving the dirt over the car),or do i risk that none of the 20 cats in my street will not walk all over it and use it for sun bathing?

Also the car is going to be left outside my property,so hopefully leaving the cover on will not attract any unwanted attention. Its a very quiet road,and its a dead end.

The car cover is an official 350Z one from Zmanalex.

Thanks

If there is grit on your car and the wind gets up it will be like sandpaper on your paintwork. I dont know which i would prefer that or cats!

Take her for one last spin to the jetwash then home quick wipe down and cover. Job done. :thumbs:

• 5 weeks later...
Cats will do much less damage than putting a cover on a dirty car to have the wind buffet it.

Really?

The cover I have which is the genuine one from Alex is a pretty tight fit and ties underneath to make it even tighter... Also where I park is walled on 3 sides so very little wind, so bit if a sweeping statement really, depends on the situation...

There are plus and minus points for either, my car is a daily drive so I don't detail it to an inch of it's life anyway, certainly not this time of year anyway.

Also you should see the size of the cats round my way :surrender: and the foxes too...

Cats generally don't do damage to cars as they don't use there claws to climb up them,

Using a car cover will be fine, but the car has to be spotless underneath it, as any dirt trapped underneath combined with movement of the car cover will cause light scratching,

just putting it on and taking it off will move across the surface, if its dirty, you might as well take some 800 grit to the car. not only that you'll transfer dirt to the inside of the cover, so when you do have a clean car it will keep sratching the paint work even when the car is clean.

my advice go out tonight bucket of soapy water and a wash mit give it a quick wash down, no need for anything else and then pop your cover on if your worried about the cats.

Cats will do much less damage than putting a cover on a dirty car to have the wind buffet it.

Really?

The cover I have which is the genuine one from Alex is a pretty tight fit and ties underneath to make it even tighter... Also where I park is walled on 3 sides so very little wind, so bit if a sweeping statement really, depends on the situation...

There are plus and minus points for either, my car is a daily drive so I don't detail it to an inch of it's life anyway, certainly not this time of year anyway.

Also you should see the size of the cats round my way :surrender: and the foxes too...

I have a genuine cover too so I'm aware how good the fit is.

It's up to the OP what he does. I was simply offering my advice as a someone that looks after my car paintwork and has had experience of the Zed and cover for a number of years.

The OP didn't say if the car would be out of the wind etc. Also, you still have to put the tight fitting cover on the car. You can't do that without pulling it over the paintwork. If YOU can then you need to teach this magic! Pulling a car cover on over dirty paint would be like dragging a gritty sponge across the car.

As I say, it's only my opinion so feel free to ignore as I'm sure many others do.

Really?

I have a genuine cover too so I'm aware how good the fit is.

It's up to the OP what he does. I was simply offering my advice as a someone that looks after my car paintwork and has had experience of the Zed and cover for a number of years.

The OP didn't say if the car would be out of the wind etc. Also, you still have to put the tight fitting cover on the car. You can't do that without pulling it over the paintwork. If YOU can then you need to teach this magic! Pulling a car cover on over dirty paint would be like dragging a gritty sponge across the car.

As I say, it's only my opinion so feel free to ignore as I'm sure many others do.

I would never ignore you Stew :hug::console:

Yeah it's a forum and we all just offer our own advice and experience...

I had a nasty time with my last car and a cat that was always on my car... unfortunately it was my own cat :doh:

I haven't got into 'proper' detailing yet, only just got my polisher so I expect once I go to the effort of getting rid of all the swirls I may have a different outlook... I have only covered my car a few times anyway when I have been away for a while not every night as I use the car everyday

Personally, I'd give the car a really quick wash, doesnt have to be perfect, but at least you wont get dirt on the inside of the car cover which is the main thing you want to avoid. Once its on the inside of the cover, its very hard to remove and you'll be forever scratching the paint then :surrender: