Quick Update with PICS

MrLizard

TLM 350z

Since the Nippon Challenge Race at Lydden Hill TLM and Abbey Motorsport have gone back to the drawing board. Due to treaded tyres being in short supply and prices rising the only logical step was to advance the car... that makes sense right? B)

The decision was made to move onto Dunlop Racing Slicks. With any car, changing from road tyres to slicks will give a significant performance boost, however it does come at a cost. In order to effectively use the slick tyres we also needed:

New larger Oil Sump

Modified Oil Filter

New Wheels

New Wheel Bearings

New Suspension

Dual Fuel Pumps

Camber Arms

And finally get the Dash Working! :)

This is basically to cope with the increased forces applied to the car when on slicks and make the most out of the available grip with the added benifit to see where i **** up whilst going around.

DSCF2522.jpg

Abbey Motorsport completed all the necessary modifications and we went to Brandshatch for the first shake down. The first thing we noticed was the greater need for heat in the tyres but once the heat was in the tyres (55-65 Deg of it) the grip was phenominal.

DSCF2517.jpg

Due to an unfortunate problem with part of the suspension we had to call it an early day but the testing gave us some good figures and resulted in a positive step forward.

DSCF2511.jpg

Huge Thanks to Abbey Motorsport for going the extra mile and our other sponsors:

Total Nissan

Zenzero IT Support

Opie Oils

UpRev

Motordyne

**REMOVED**

Some cold carbon

DSCF2501.jpg

And so much grip now it can handle 90deg increase in gradient and without moving still be ok!

DSCF2504.jpg

haha thats fine m8 :)

New LSD in the process of going in but im not sure it will have arrived by saturday, looking to do another test day at brands imminently, just waiting for Abbey to decide when suits them. :)

Also a new rear subframe floating around but we are not going to fit that until we get past the next test session. :drive1

3way adjustable AST, really nice peice of kit that Abbey with AST have altered to suit the 350z, I believe we are on our 2nd or 3rd set of springs and the ride height overall has been lowered so there is more adjustability lower down...

felt nice (though a little soft) around brands last time, we are going for a stiffer setup next time to see how it performs, car felt like it was skipping into grip, like it would load up one side or the other and then skip slightly and then dig in, you really have to leave your brain out of your head when the slicks get up to temp, surtees flat out was interesting :scare:

not sure what you mean by square? 9.5" fronts and 10.5" rears with lots of negative camber everywhere as the last picture sort of shows...

The setup is something im not willing to reproduce on a forum as it isnt mine to divuldge in full anymore (lots of alterations this year) but given my experience with Abbey I know they will be able to give you a good setup taking into consideration what you actually want to do with the car, ie

normal

fast road

road/track

track

etc...

Sorry, from looking at the pics I thought you had the same width wheels all round rather than a staggered setup as normal. Wasn't really looking for a full spec on your setup, just interested that's all :)

I know your car is purely functional rather than being made to look nice, but it looks cool. Even the big wing (which I'm not usually into!) Hope the rest of the testing goes well.

thanks introspect, im not really interested in the show aspect, but do appreciate it on others cars, the car has 100% been built for function but as its turned out i quite like the way it looks...

Be nice when i get the other front bumper on and sort out a splitter

in saying that if the sponsorship takes off next year it could end up any colour! :)

I've never driven on slicks but I'm not sure my brain would let me trust that much grip is available :scare: I think I'd have a trouser accident way before the slicks let go!

Are you using a square setup with the wheels?

I had a different kind of trouser accident just looking at the car :blush:

:lol::lol: Sounds like you've just had a 'crisis'

looking nice, where's the vids?! :rant:

a few Qs:

New larger Oil Sump > Is this due to the more G's in the corners so the oil keeps going to one side or what?

Modified Oil Filter > same here?

New Wheels > Understand

New Wheel Bearings > Is this due to the forces on the OEM bearings?

New Suspension > Understand

Dual Fuel Pumps > Don't understand :D

Camber Arms > Understand

... I was going to throw my slicks onto my rays that I got and use them for a trackday, in the hope they'd be ok! (car) :bangin:

looking nice, where's the vids?! :rant:

a few Qs:

New larger Oil Sump > Is this due to the more G's in the corners so the oil keeps going to one side or what?

Modified Oil Filter > same here?

New Wheels > Understand

New Wheel Bearings > Is this due to the forces on the OEM bearings?

New Suspension > Understand

Dual Fuel Pumps > Don't understand :D

Camber Arms > Understand

... I was going to throw my slicks onto my rays that I got and use them for a trackday, in the hope they'd be ok! (car) :bangin:

Vids soon m8, sorry!!!

Larger sump due to oil surging to one side of the engine yep you got that :)

Oil filter has moved closer to the oil cooler for ease of change and due to the new sump taking space!

Wheel bearings, yes you got that too

Fuel pumps, in my experience the OEM car has almost enough cornering force to starve the engine of fuel, with slicks its easy when running a low load of fuel, the zed runs a saddle tank and one fuel pump on the right hand side of the tank, if you are cornering hard right, doesnt need to be tight but quick then you can end up with no fuel coming in, the answer is to install a fuel pump on the left hand side and Abbey are setting this up so it pumps to the pump on the right hand side, so no need to run a whole new line :thumbs:

saddle tanks great for weight distribution

fortunately i have only suffered this in testing, we tend to overfill slightly for races but with 2 pumps and an accurate fuel consumption calculation (assuming im always at full pelt not safety car) then we can save more weight! :)

lots of weight can be saved with accurate petrol levels :D In the biking scene its very common for trackdays seeing the lads pumping out fuel measure and then back in again note it and off you go...

Q on the petrol issue and starvation: What happens say if you've driven around a track for a while and you take a lets say 45 degree corner following a straight and the car starves... could it be that it bogs down and "dies" for a minute, engine light on and then just recover and continue driving?

btw, what sump are you getting? (guess it's not a normal spacer)

What LSD are you intending on installing, hoping it's a UK one ;)

fuel pumps sounds interesting... so I take it your car doesn't have a fuel return system with constant pressure in it ?

I also guess we're not going to see any install pics :lol::teeth:

Good guess on the install pics some of it would require going back in time.

Sump is American, abbey have the details, not just a spacer,

LSD is quaiffe, uk :)

You could have exactly the issue you describe, I have experienced it on a corner even less severe than 45deg, car took about 15 seconds to remove the error and carry on :)

Unsure on the technical details of the fuel pump, I tend to eat biscuits and lose interest if it gets too mechanical, I like the geeky computer stuff more :)

looking to do another test day at brands imminently, just waiting for Abbey to decide when suits them. :)

Well let me know when this is, if I`m out of my cast I`ll come along in the SBR, need to do a little shake down run :drive1 Otherwise I`ll just come along just to watch :D

Good guess on the install pics some of it would require going back in time.

Sump is American, abbey have the details, not just a spacer,

LSD is quaiffe, uk :)

You could have exactly the issue you describe, I have experienced it on a corner even less severe than 45deg, car took about 15 seconds to remove the error and carry on :)

Unsure on the technical details of the fuel pump, I tend to eat biscuits and lose interest if it gets too mechanical, I like the geeky computer stuff more :)

Good man on the choice of LSD, they've got at least 4 weeks waiting time for the VLSD geared LSD... :blush:

Would be interested to see the oil filter relocation and sump details. :thumbs:

So you're more interested in the lights on the dash you want installed then the backend workings ? :D:drive1

Andy Steve's car may have done away with the syphone system the stock car uses with the sadle tank. One fuel pump+ hanger in each side of the tank with a Y fitting supplying the fuel rail would give constant pressure under high G force while cornering. I would have though a fuel swirl system would have been put in? (it may have??) but that adds weight and for race regs fuel components need to be be hind a fire wall and not in the driver compartment, this is hard in the zed as we dont have a sealed boot space like alot of cars do.

Steve when you next at abbey can we get some inside pic's ?? I have asked RJN for info on the roll cage and a set of CF door cards to fit round the roll cage for my car! lol...

Oh and come on lets see your splitter!!!

the cf door cards are hurendously expensive but do look lovely, bob fitted them to a m8's 350z not long ago you wont be dissapointed...

ideally you want a weld in cage as apposed to a part bolt part weld like mine, but for a proper job you are talking thousands m8 and there would be no going back from that, i should have done that really but at the time cages were thin on the ground so anything FIA approved would do...

re fuel regs tim you can run the tank inside the car and you can run the lines through the car as well, you have to use a special material though and that has to be within another hose of a suitable material which in effect acts as a firewall...

Most of the time you would run the saddle tank due to its better weight balance and run an additional tank to feed that rather than the other way round...