Quick answer needed re- Oil Level

KurtB

Checking my oil level, trying to check the oil level, but the stick is so badly designed every time i check the level it gives me a different reading, and on both sides. One side indicated i have about 4000 litres in there, whilst the other side empty!

Can someone take a photo of the stick showing the right level please, as I dont know what the right level level looks like on the stick, as my oil smear is patchy all the way up it! :rant:

Need to drive 70 miles tonight and would like to get it right while its still light out

4000 litres..... are you sure your checking the oil on a Zed and not the QE2? :shrug:

Ive been thinking the same thing :lol: One side of the stick the oil on the stick is off/on patchy up to about halfway on the stick! Whereas the other side theres not a lot on it. Where it is removed from the engine at an angle its probably dragging on the side a bit, smearing it.

Hard to explain, but where the oil level touches the stick is it quite a solid covering if that makes sense? On all my other cars i've had its an obvious line where the level is. This one isnt very clear. Just being safe :D

Just been to check mine......

There should be a L and H on one side after the silly twisty bit at end but before the two notch bits. It should also have criss-crossing between the L and H. My level is dead in the middle between L and H :shrug:

There should be a L and H on one side after the silly twisty bit at end but before the two notch bits. It should also have criss-crossing between the L and H. My level is dead in the middle between L and H :shrug:

Or in the middle of H and L ;)

Or in the middle of H and L ;)

Awww crap.... have I reading it wrong all this time Darren :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the advice, its just irritating how its not clearing telling me the level :rant:

It could be fine, or it could be overful as theres random splodges of oil on the stick, or so low that there isnt a consistent line :dry:

Today when driving after a couple of minutes, when going about 30mph and a fairly high gear whilst revving low, the gauge dropped to the 1/4 line (30psi i think), the lowest ive ever seen it. But on the other hand its cold out, just left, and low demand on engine.

Or it could be low on oil, see my dillema :dry:

I might be wrong here...... so if anyone knows better........

.....I am sure I have seen a post somewhere that says If you do 60mph in 6th gear the oil pressure gauge should read about 60 give or take a little.

I seem to think that this is accurate on a flat road cruising along. But it could be + or - 5-10 (approx) depending on how hot/cold the engine is.

I have been using this as a "general" guage as to when to check/top up my oil.......... works for me :shrug:

Check the oil level after the car has been parked for at least an hour ........... if you have to put any oil in, do so with the stick back in then start the engine to mix the new oil with the oil in the sump (when you put fresh oil in, it goes past the dipstick smearing it as it goes in, and this is what you are seeing with the patchy appearance) ................ leave the car for another hour and check again .......... the difference between the low and high mark is getting on for 1.5 litres

and finally .....................................

as Husky once said ...............

the DIPSTICK on a 350Z was designed by a DIPSTICK !!!

try and leave it as long as possible to let the oil level settle then try the dipstick again on level ground and see how that goes? its a god awful design though

Will leave it a while then, perhaps I havent been giving it enough time to settle (10-15mins)

the DIPSTICK on a 350Z was designed by a DIPSTICK !!!

:lol::lol:

Where abouts does the pressure gauge take its reading from on the engine anyway? Just wondering how effective an indication it is.

Where abouts does the pressure gauge take its reading from on the engine anyway? Just wondering how effective an indication it is.

The oil pressure gauge is accurate ........ I checked mine last week ............ but that's exactly what it measures - the pressure NOT the amount of oil .............. the only way to measure the amount of oil in the car is via the dipstick :thumbs:

The oil pressure gauge is accurate ........ I checked mine last week ............ but that's exactly what it measures - the pressure NOT the amount of oil .............. the only way to measure the amount of oil in the car is via the dipstick :thumbs:

Thats cool then. The reason i've been worrying about it today it read a little lower than normal (dropped to the 30psi mark) where normally its pretty close either side of the middle mark (60psi). It was only after a couple of minutes of driving so its probably normal, I just dont normally look at the gauge a lot when im driving! The hard to read stick is just making me paranoid :lol: When I first checked it there was residual oil just under the filler cap when I took the cap off after I stopped the engine, so theres obviously oil flowing around the engine!

So surely, less oil mean less pressure? I am not saying only use the gauge...but if you know what the gauge reads normally then if it shows anything different.... check your oil :shrug:

and I seem to think the "60-60-in sixth" matches what my dipstick reads :thumbs::thumbs:

So surely, less oil mean less pressure? I am not saying only use the gauge...but if you know what the gauge reads normally then if it shows anything different.... check your oil :shrug:

and I seem to think the "60-60-in sixth" matches what my dipstick reads :thumbs::thumbs:

:blush: Not saying that you're wrong doogyrev ............. just saying that I'm right lol :thumbs:

and yes it's twisted at the end

From the good book :

NOTE:

When engine oil temperature is low, engine oil pressure becomes high

At Idle speed oil pressure should be more than 14 psi

At 2,000 revs oil pressure should be more than 43 psi

[measured with the engine oil temperature at 80°C (176°F) i.e. warm engine]