Extending my warranty-is it worth it ?

jimgallaher

My warranty runs out mid january next year and I was seriously thinking of buying the 2 year extended warranty for 539 quid. But after reading some of the horror stories in this forum I'm having second thoughts. I've only had to use a Nissan dealer once, to get my 2nd key reprogrammed, and they managed some how to lose the radio code, and had to strip out the radio to get it back in action again. I was there for 3 hours !! I wasn't filled with confidence (Charles Hurst Nissan in Belfast) My concern is that If I am unfortunate to try and get something repaired under the extende warranty, will they try and wriggle out of dong it ? Any NI members had any deaalings with Northern Ireland Nissan dealerships ?

I've not bothered on mine. Dealers regard extended warranty as money in the bank and will do anything to wriggle out of it...just my experience from a previous car (a Ford) when I missed the mandatory service by about 1.5k, I'm sure they would have found some other reason anyway.

Pete

I wouldn't pay for it, the Z's seam pretty reliable. Depending on how long you've had your car and how you drive it i think you should have a feel of 'something is or isn't about to go wrong'

I was given a year warranty with mine and don't plan on getting it extended when it runs out.

Work out what the biggest expenses are (ie engine and gearbox), work out if you can afford to replace them if needs be even if you have to drop the cost on a credit card as a temporary measure, and also work out what the most common issues are and how much it would cost to fix them yourself.

Personally I don't think it's worth it on a Zed, but it's a must-have on something like a Porsche where part costs and labour rates are daft money.

I have it just as peace of mind. My biggest fear was engine management going or something which could have been pricey. So I decided to take it as I would probe have struggled to find cash for big repairs quickly.

Generally my experience with my Nissan dealer have been great. The guys that work there are great and never had any issues. Also get cheap servicing and mot's from them.

I did mine and didn't claim a thing, so that was a waste of cash....

Hindsight, I would check to see if there were any warranty issues that could affect the car and if it hasn't had them done I would consider. eg mine had had the 4th to 6th syncro work done on the gearbox and if that had happened outside of warranty the parts alone were 4 figures. Since it had, there was no point really. Most other warranty jobs were less than the cost in reality. So check it out, and otherwise put the cash in the bank and leave it for 2 years. :)