toshiba satellite p10-304....need a little help :)

neo

hi all,

got a toshiba satellite p10-304 from a work mate to try and fix for him, the laptop will not boot up at all, not even to the bios, the HD clicks a few times then nothing, so my guess is the HD is dead.

if the HD is dead would this be a suitable replacement - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131287

the HD in it already is - http://store.linkbyte.com/store/product ... ts_id=5998

like i've mentioned before i don't get to work on many laptops :blush:

thanks in advance for any help :)

cheers

Neo

just booted with no ram or HD installed and still nothing, the power light comes on the fans kick up for a few seconds then nothing :shrug:

Put RAM back in and boot holding down the DELETE key (on it might be F2 or that laptop) - this should take you into the system BIOS where you can do things like change the boot order etc - if you cant get into this then the problem is pretty terminal I'm affraid! (and not the HD)

Are you getting anything on the screen at all?

everything back in, pressed "f2" then tried "delete" ( as you would on a desktop pc) but still nothing on the screen and no HD access, on a desktop you can reset the cmos or remove the battery which clears the bios, is there anything like that on a laptop ?

i had trouble booting up a satelite and it was the little button that puts it to sleep when you close the lid, i pressed it a few times and it seemed to release it and worked for quite a while. might be worth a shot before you spend any money on it :thumbs:

can't find a sleep button or switch :blush:

everything back in, pressed "f2" then tried "delete" ( as you would on a desktop pc) but still nothing on the screen and no HD access, on a desktop you can reset the cmos or remove the battery which clears the bios, is there anything like that on a laptop ?

Desktops have a jumper which you change after taking the small battery out, not many laptops have this.

This sounds more like a power supply or a motherboard issue I'm affraid - laptop PSU's are a pain to replace and not cheap :surrender:

Edit for clarity - I am not referring to the external 240v PSU, rather the internal 12-19v unit, which is normally soldered to the motherboard.

However there could also be a fault with the external one - have you tried booting from internal battery only?

tried mains and battery power but still the same, power light on, fans on but nothing on screen :thumbdown:

guess it's died, from a quick google it's a fairly old laptop, guess he needs to ask santa for a xmas present :teeth:

If you're getting nothing on the screen (not even the backlight) it could be the screen (or the module it attaches to) - they can usually be replaced but for the price I'd want to be 100% sure first!

You may get some luck if you plug in an external monitor to test - however it may need a function key for the monitor port to work.