European Christmas Markets

geoff-r

Has anyone here been to any European Christmas Markets? The missus wants to go one in Europe around the last weekend of November or the first weekend of December. Can anyone recommend one that you've personally been to? It's really not my forte as per my comments on the other christmas thread but I don't get a chance to be a scrooge at Christmas time. I would think flying would be the best option as the roads around Europe at that time of the year could be a little tricky in the 370, plus I'm not paying for snow tyres as it's the only time I'd use them. Thanks in advance for the input.

Cheers for the input guys :)

The one in Vienna is nice. Try the gluhwein (mulled wine), and if you fancy something a little more interesting, ask them to put some schnapps in it for you. That little fire cracker is known as a 'Turbopunsch'!

This is the kind of thing I'm on about, I did consider Vienna and might have to look into it a little more :) I like the idea of a 'Turbopunsch' haha.

I'd prefer to go outside the UK as our Christmas weather is usually somewhat disappointing. Keep the suggestions coming :)

Any city / town in Germany. Big cities will have stalls every day from 22nd/23rd November till the 23rd of December; and every village will have their local ones for those weekends. Gluhwein will be flowing :D

Cologne has nice ones, although it's possibly a bit too crowded, Frankfurt is okay, Munich is cool, Dresden is good (has the biggest Stollen - Christmas cake) and Nurnburg is nice. They're all "quaint" though. But it's (the Gluhwein that is) the best thing to keep you going on a cold winters night.

Personally, prefer the local village ones now, but only cause I've been here for eons.

I'm trying to decide the exact same thing myself + driving there is a whole lot more fun! :)

My shortlist is: Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Munich, Bratislava.

Driving would be nice but it's not like it's the height of summer and I can make a diversion up some of the passes. I think my shortlist is similar, just wondering whether to book it as a package or all separately now.

I went to the one in Bruges last year and doing the same again this December.

It's not massive but it's quite nice, a good variety of places to sample the local beer too!

Plus the girlfriend really enjoyed it!

Another good suggestion, the beer would be a huge plus (and attraction) haha, gotta love the continental beers :)

We were in Munich last December, the Christmas markets were excellent. Went to the main one in Marienplatz, and also to the smaller( and a lot less expensive) one in Haidhausen, beside our hotel. Munich is a small city, easily navigated on foot. The brauhausen (?) were excellent, the Hofbrauhaus is a bit of a tourist trap, but must be seen, it holds 5000 people ! But to be honest I much preferred the Augustiner am platzl brauhaus, small with exceptional beer and great food. We stayed in the Munich city Hilton, really good, plus the s-bahn station is directly below the hotel. And for a small supplement, you can upgrade to the executive floor, where there is a free bar, with free finger food/snacks as well ! yeah all in all I'd thorughly recommend Munich, hope to be back this year.