Footwell lighting

Zugara

Has anyone done the footwell light mod, i am looking to do this with leds and take the power from the interior courtesy light.

Any suggestions would be a real help. :thumbs:

I'm sure huskey says taking any power from the courtesy light is a no no! Some box that costs a bomb may go bang! :headhurt: I'm sure he will be able to inform you more! :thumbs:

Courtesy light is fine, just remember it's switched earth and permanent live. John is right to be a bit paranoid and worried, it appears to run back to the BCM completely unfused or protected so be careful not to short it or it will cost a lot to fix!

I am amazed you managed to get it wrong twice though John, given you new line of business :lol:

Fair enough bud, I will bow to your superior knowledge (I mean that seriously, not being sarcy). How much do you think it can take then? It powered 2 small strips of LEDs in my car, but I would imagine it cant take too much current through it. How much did you put through before it went pop?

Fair enough bud, I will bow to your superior knowledge (I mean that seriously, not being sarcy). How much do you think it can take then? It powered 2 small strips of LEDs in my car, but I would imagine it cant take too much current through it. How much did you put through before it went pop?

im not sure exactly; but not as much as i'd like, would have designed in myself or expected! :(

if you have aftermarket LED dome lights that would help lots and i reckon that's where i went wrong as i didn't realise it would be so sensitive. i had the oem bulbs in at the time meaning the current draw was too high. if it were a cheap module i would say crack on but it is a fair old wad of cash. I would love to have got it to work on mine, hence me being so determined. I did some reading from others who have burned out the same bit in the same way. :(

yes, however you will lose the fade feature

I have NO idea about this leccy stuff....

But wouldn't some kind of capacitor or something emulate the fade feature?

Suppose it wouldn't be in sync with the other lights then :D

If there is an issue with the dome light not being fused... cant you just stick a fuse in it? THEN splice off it? :blink:

(And the answer is ... No, I DON'T know what I am talking about!)

im not sure exactly; but not as much as i'd like, would have designed in myself or expected! :(

if you have aftermarket LED dome lights that would help lots and i reckon that's where i went wrong as i didn't realise it would be so sensitive. i had the oem bulbs in at the time meaning the current draw was too high. if it were a cheap module i would say crack on but it is a fair old wad of cash. I would love to have got it to work on mine, hence me being so determined. I did some reading from others who have burned out the same bit in the same way. :(

Thats a fair point. I had LED dome lights, so that would have lowered the draw significantly.

As for blowing the BMC, I have never overloaded it, but if you short the connection, you will blow it. It takes out the dome light, and also the main dials, including the indicators, lights, etc. They still work, you just get no feedback of it :scare: I can also confirm you wont fix the BCM, Nissan tried to fix mine thinking it was a blown earth, but they said it was fried. :lol: