Turning Ignition Key And Nothing Happens?

GINGERMONKEY67

Hi All

Anyone ever experienced this?

Every now and again, I get in the car, pop the key in the ignition, turn and .... nothing happens ! Battery totally fine, indicating a full 12v. So the first time this happened, I panicked, thinking something terrible and expensive was wrong. Desperately tried turning the key again, and after a few attempts - it fired up as normal. No problem at all.

It has done this a few times now, and always starts after a few turns of the key. Its a bit worrying, but I wondered if anyone else had encountered this?

Car is a 2004 model Z, no mods or anything. GT pack installed. Love it to bits.

Cheers all

Dave

Yeah, always press clutch down when turning key.

The battery in the remote - now there is a good idea. I hadnt thought of that. The range to the car when I press the central locking button has been getting less and less recently. So the theory is that the immobiliser chip in the key fob is working intermittently because the battery is old?

Will give it a try - thanks guys !!

Dave

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. It is a UK Zed, no mods at all. Standard Nissan key fob etc.

I had the same problem the other morning - wouldnt start after five or six key turns. Just wasnt starting, and I had to get going, so I ran back into the house and grabbed the spare key. The car then started first turn. So I naturally assumed that the flat battery in the key fob was the problem after all.

Got back to the car after the school run, put the spare key in the ignition, turned it and .... nothing happened ! One try later and it started.

So there is a possibility that both keys have a low battery level. I havent changed the batteries since I bought the car in May this year. I will try the new battery approach and see what happens.

Thanks guys

Dave :thumbs:

I havent changed the batteries since I bought the car in May this year. I will try the new battery approach and see what happens.

The Z uses a passive transponder chip in the key so changing the batteries won't make any difference.

Sounds like a fault with the ignition barrel unfortunately. If you turn the key and the stereo says "WAIT" then it's definitely having problems talking to the chip and not disabling the immobiliser.

I'd put money on a tempramental earth connection on the battery strap!

Had exactly the same symptoms! had me baffled for a while.

+1, had this on an MR2 once. BTW, if it fails to start quite a few times the earth will try and find the next easiest route to earth which isn't sufficient, this happens to be the throttle cable on an MR2! Got rather annoyed with the AA man who just kept trying and trying until I told him to stop because the throttle cable was starting to smoke! :rant: