getting a new key cut

kevlo

Hi guys and girls, had an episode on tuesday where i lost my keys in the middle of a retail park for 5 hours :angry:

The previous owner lost the spare keys so i only have one and yesterday made me think if i lost the car keys it would cost me a fortune to sort out if even possible.

what is the best way to get a duplicate key made up.

i have seen these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNCUT-NISSAN-X-TR ... 2c571024bd

but i presume you would need to code it and cut it?

Hi guys and girls, had an episode on tuesday where i lost my keys in the middle of a retail park for 5 hours :angry:

The previous owner lost the spare keys so i only have one and yesterday made me think if i lost the car keys it would cost me a fortune to sort out if even possible.

what is the best way to get a duplicate key made up.

i have seen these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNCUT-NISSAN-X-TR ... 2c571024bd

but i presume you would need to code it and cut it?

Be very careful dealing with this particular individual. I bought a blank key fob from him, he assued me it would work for the car etc

but after having the key cut, it transpired that the blank didn't fit in the fob because the locating hole for the small screw was the wrong size.

He messed me about like you wouldn't believe over this, even claiming he hadn't had the returned key back (which had been signed for recorded delivery).

After i threatened him with getting ebay involved he finally returned to me the key, cut for my car, already attached to a fob.

I don't know exactly what he did to make it work but i had the feeling that it wouldn't have happened at all had i not threatened him,

so anyone doing this, beware!

I bought 3 used keys and found there are different types that have the same model number on the outside but work completely differently inside. My 2004 UK key uses a passive transponder chip whereas identical looking keys from European built models seem to use an active chip on the PCB.

The video shows the two types but ignore what the guy says! The top key has an active chip on the other side of the PCB:

Even when I got the right type of key I could only get it to lock the car but not unlock or disable the immobiliser. I think that you either need a blank unused transponder chip of exactly the right type and/or to get a dealer to code it... Trying to code a used key using the key turning and button pressing method seems to be a waste of time and money :doh:

I need one too, bet theres loads of members who would want one.

£80 for a recode but need the key first

+1

I we can get hold of the keys, there must be a method for us mortals to code them to the cars.

Ill bet it'll be the spotty apprentice who codes your keys at nissan and he will probably just stroll out to your car in the car park and do some sort of button pressing and then hand you back the keys and say "£80 please"

I recently bought the wrong type of key from a seller on ebay - Siemens VDO 5WK4 876 433MHZ so if that is of any use to you give me a shout.

Incidentally if anyone has a 5WK4 818 they want to sell give me a shout :)

how do i know which one mine is?