How to get the absolute best fuel economy?

marzman

Mondeo instead of a Jag?!? How can you even suggest such a thing?? :ban:

haha, trust me, with 9 years expeience with jaguar and owning a ford, i would 100% say that the mondeo is a better car, the rear suspension on the xtype is useless, the mondeo is simple and ive had no faults with mine. the 2.0 diesel jag is a 5 speed gearbox, the mondeo is a 6 speed box, so better economy.

Depends how you define better...

A Mondeo is a better car than a Zed in many many ways, but none of the most important ones...

Yes but the 350 isnt based on the mondeo while the jag is.

Wasn't comparing them just saying the use of the word 'better' is very loose...

Fair enought but the jag was built worse, had worse spec, drove worse but you was charged more for the pleasure of owning it. Just the badge that sold it .

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drive the zed, I've had weekend cars and IMO it's a bit of a waste....unless you are minted! A lot of money to have sat in a garage meaning double depreciation and running costs.

It's definitely 40p per mile for the first 10000 miles regardless of whether you get paid a car allowance ( I get the same) as your allowance will be paid as salary, so taxed. You will be able to claim tax relief on the 15p a mile difference on a P87 if you don't do a tax return.

Enjoy the Z diesels suck!

Only a few weeks into ownership and loving it . Had some mpg fun a few days ago , i drove from bham to solihull , about 10 miles. Late so little traffic, i cruised at 30 asmuch as i could, sometimes 36 when it was 40 . I pulled of in 2nd , dropped to 5th next then 6th. Put it in neutral and rolled at 15/20 mph downhill!

Got exactly 37 mpg :)

I had the exact same dilema!

What did I do? I sold my 56 plate Z and bought an 04 A3 tdi! Initially dismissing the 2nd car idea as a waste of money. Thinking maybe I'll buy a nice 330d or something in the future.

There isn't a day that goes by where I don't swear at myself and the car, for being a boring POS! :rant:

Do i regret it though? Yes and no. I will be doing 30k+ miles a year and the Audi literally halves my fuel costs. I think I worked that out as around £3500 cash I'm better off with the Audi than the Z. That's excluding more frquent services and additional maintenance costs.

However, continuing my point above. I hate the car so much (I've washed it once in 6 months, 5 months ago...as an indication) and miss the Z so much that I've done a U-turn in my head, and am now saving for a 2nd car. But I'm being sensible, so it will probably be in 2 years, and hopefully a 370z this time around.

So buying diesel has annoyed, and enlightened me. If you are to do anything, I'd say buy a Tdi Ibiza or something, and a Z. Don't waste it on motorways. You could be driving a F430 or a fiesta. But there's chuff all difference between them when you're driving on a straight grey road at 70mph. Apart from the pounds falling out your wallet every mile you drive in the 430.

Perhaps look at your calculations as well, and NEVER BELIEVE THE MPG COMPUTER. It's a filthy liar! I did a 400 ish mile round trip driving like a granny in the Z (complete with 50mph roadworks), and that used a whole tank of fuel. A simple calculation shows that as a TRUE mpg of 26-28mpg. The computer was telling me I was on 32-35mpg odd. It's not just that journey either. Around town and B roads, it was around 260-280 miles per tank which is a TRUE 17-18mpg. But the good ole computer told me my average was circa 22.5mpg. Suprisingly, the DTE indicator was extremely accurate! I'd be mighty impressed if you ever got a true 30mpg out of the Z. The audi is a scumbag liar as well. I get a true 47.5mpg out of that. Though the computer likes to tell me it's anything from 55-70mpg :bang:

Anyhoo, this brings me back to the comment earlier. If you're trying to conserve fuel, driving down the motorway, it honestly makes no difference what car you're driving, the Z is totally wasted, and you're paying good money to waste it...

delete this post if im not allowed to do it, but the mondeo is for sale now, 53 reg mondeo zetec-s, 101,000 miles, body work is average, no dents, alloys need a refurb, but mechanically is mint. and also it has decat and tuning box if sold for £1600.

if ive broke the rules here, let me know and ill delete this, and repost in for sale.

thanks

Not so much it isn't allowed mate as no one will see it who's actually looking to buy a car! Best sticking another thread up in the for sale section.

• 2 weeks later...