Front Screen Mis Fitted By Autoglass

AlexZ

When I bought my car last year it had a stone chip in the front screen. Part of the agreement of buying the car would be the chip getting fixed at there expense. When I went to collect the car I jumped in and came home, as I showed my new car off to the better half I noticed the screen didnt look any different. I'm no expert at glass repairs so I popped it my local glass company (owned by my cousin) and he assured me the chip hadnt been repaired. The company I bought the car off after a few loud voices agreeded to cover the excess cost of my glass cover £75. Autoglass who replaced the screen said the chip was to close to the A pillar and the screen would crack if repaired. I was happy knowing a new screen was coming my way and no cost. :thumbs:

A few months after fitting I noticed the passengers side inner A pillar trim didnt fit very good as you could see the edge of it from the outside of the car. I removed the inner trim and fitted it back and it was the same. I just thought oh well, I recently took my car to Nissan for a warranty claim and they asked for the chassis number. When looking at the screen I noticed I could no longer see it through the inspection hole in the screen laminate. The more I looked at the screen the more faults I could see, the laminate (black band around the screen) wasnt equally matched at one side to the other.

I went back to Autoglass this afternoon and the chap told me they screen can't be 6mm out as I though measuring of the external trims. He said the screen fitter doesnt have any trims on the vehicle when fitting the glass (like we all know) so they go off the A pillars for measurement. He said there isnt enough room either side to be 6mm out.

I came home this afternoon and whipped the side trims off to see this...

Good side...you cant see no inner trim here and theres more laminate. :thumbs:

DSCF7063Medium.jpg

DSCF7066Medium.jpg

The side you can see the inner trim and less laminate. :thumbdown:

DSCF7064Medium.jpg

DSCF7065Medium.jpg

Trims removed, check out the distance of the screen from the roof edges. It looks to me like 6mm ish...

DSCF7067Medium.jpg

DSCF7068Medium.jpg

Other side trim removed, the screen is over hanging the roof edge by about 1mm.

DSCF7069Medium.jpg

DSCF7070Medium.jpg

Check out the curved section of the a pillar and you can see theres a diffence between the sides.

DSCF7071Medium.jpg

DSCF7072Medium.jpg

What you guys think... :shrug:

Alexz

Haha, this is what I thought...I'm a great believer in face to face. I'll pop back in tomorrow and let them know I want it cutting out and moveing over to the left. :thumbs: I'm sure it will be fine as they offer life time warranty while you own the vehicle or so I've heard lol.

Alex

i'm in the process of sorting things out with autoglass as well, they recently fitted the windscreen to my S, after they fitted it i now have a rear view that vibrates terribly. after some research it seems they have not used an OEM honda screen, and the metal bezzle that it mounts to is the wrong shape.

i'm in the process of sorting things out with autoglass as well, they recently fitted the windscreen to my S, after they fitted it i now have a rear view that vibrates terribly. after some research it seems they have not used an OEM honda screen, and the metal bezzle that it mounts to is the wrong shape.

Emm thats strange, what screen do you think it should have mate? My partner has the Honda Civic Type S (2009) and this cake fitted with a Pilkington front screen of the production line. Autoglass have also fitted a Pilkington screen in mine, this doesnt worry me though because there one of the world leaders in vehicle glazeing.

I dont think Honda will make there own glass, more likley just rename another manufactures glass. :shrug:

Either way the rear veiw shouldnt be vibrating lol and I hope you get it sorted soon man. Why the change to the Honda?

Alex

Emm thats strange, what screen do you think it should have mate? My partner has the Honda Civic Type S (2009) and this cake fitted with a Pilkington front screen of the production line. Autoglass have also fitted a Pilkington screen in mine, this doesnt worry me though because there one of the world leaders in vehicle glazeing.

I dont think Honda will make there own glass, more likley just rename another manufactures glass. :shrug:

Either way the rear veiw shouldnt be vibrating lol and I hope you get it sorted soon man. Why the change to the Honda?

Alex

mine is pilkington stuff as well, fit is fine, but the metal fitting part is not correct. i'm guessing the OEM honda stuff is made else where. but honda supply them with their own fixing point. mine fits perfectly. just needs new bolt and screw from honda and should hopefully fix the issue. that or i'll bond it on to the window permanently

thats shocking...

when my screen got replaced they must have levered it out using the bonnet as support as there was a section of paint about 5mm long missing from the rear edge of the bonnet (down to the metal!) :angry: