Refurb&Powder Coat RAYS on Ginger ZED....

larsdowg

Hi there,

was going to have my rims Refurbed & Powder Coated, they are RAYS on Ginger ZED.... :thumbs:

but not sure what colour to do them or exactly where to have them done. :headhurt:

Searched on forum and found some examples, but does anyone have more pics of Ginger ZEDs with powder coated wheels.

Mine have started to bubble a bit on the front so just decided to have all 4 done....... been told about these guys TOTAL WHEEL WORKS in Nottingham has anyone used them?

http://www.total-wheelworks.co.uk/

http://www.totalwheelworks.com/80100/info.php?p=1

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=25169&hilit=powder+rays&start=15

Nice Powder Coated Wheels (grey with polished rim)

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=28570&hilit=powder+rays

These ones look good on a Ginger ZED (what colour are they?) Not sure what I would be asking for if decided on this, is this black satin?

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35952&hilit=powder+rays

Anyone got some more pics of different colours on a Ginger ZED quite like the Satin black option....

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23300&hilit=powder+rays

Seen people can do clever things like this with photoshop, etc but is there a website for it?

Thoughts, pics, ideas welcome....... just want them looking tidy as gonna keep the car a little longer now plus for an 04 with 18,000 on the clock not much point in getting rid eh!

Cheers everyone :D

Anyone used these before?

http://www.notjustwheels.co.uk/alloy_wheel_repairs.html

here is a reply from them, sounds quite good?? I think??

Thank you for your request for an online quotation for: Alloy Wheel Refurbishment on your Nissan 350Z 18†RAYS Alloy Wheels. We appreciate your enquiry and hope to see you soon for your business.

The service as requested is:

1. Full refurbishment on, 4 x 18â€, 6 spoke, alloy wheels. In fair condition with a little corrosion.

2. Interior/Inside of the wheels will be prepared, painted and finished to as standard just as presentable as the exterior of the wheel, this will prevent brake dust and other contaminants sticking to the inside of the wheel and making life easier for you when cleaning and/or waxing them.

3. 3 Year Anti-Corrosion Warranty as standard.

4. FREE Mini Valet worth £60

5. FREE Wheel Balancing

The estimated cost for the above service will be no more than £190. There is no extra charge for having your wheels painted a different ‘single’ colour.

Please Note:

You asked about Powder Coating, we strongly recommend against this for the same reasons that they’re not powder coated from factory in the first place. Powder Coat chips very easily as it is much harder and more brittle than the bodyshop paint we use. More and more Wheel Repair companies are using powder coat as it is easier to have a thick coat of paint which melts flat and smooth without any effort going into preparing the surface before paint application and finishing the paint after application.

If you don’t intend to leave your vehicle and you plan on dropping off and collecting your wheels yourself, this will reduce the cost by £20.

When Can You Book In?

The next available dates we have available for this service are 6th, 7th & 7th October and 11th October onwards as we are fully booked up until then. We hope this won’t cause any inconvenience, we promise to be better than anyone else in the Midlands in terms of quality, service, warranty and value for money!

Once again, thank you for your enquiry and I hope to hear from you soon to make a booking.

Kind Regards

Richard Munt

Director

Not Just Wheels Limited

www.NotJustWheels.co.uk

Sales@NotJustWheels.co.uk

0115 714 21 55

• 1 month later...

as far as i was aware powder coating is far more durable than wet paint because its harder. :shrug: wet paint was always an option if you couldn't get them powder coating.

wet paint is also the reason why the wheels bubble up so badly on stock wheels as thwy aren't protected enough. and why alot of stock rims have to be refurbished in the first place.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of these wheels.

as far as i was aware powder coating is far more durable than wet paint because its harder. :shrug: wet paint was always an option if you couldn't get them powder coating.

wet paint is also the reason why the wheels bubble up so badly on stock wheels as thwy aren't protected enough. and why alot of stock rims have to be refurbished in the first place.

I always thought this myself, but maybe it`s to do with the manufacturers not finishing the inside of wheels to the same standard of the outside. The bubbling on my wheels has all started from the edges of the painted surfaces :dry:

The guy whose doing them must trust the finish and process or he wouldnt offer 3 year warranty..........

Lets see how they turn out :)

Will post pics when done

paint can make a big difference depending on what they use and how they use it. if it has a good thickness and a good laquer and are done a low bake (low temp to set the paint; same as in a bodyshop) then 3 years seems reasonable.

at that price you can;t complain.

I wouldn't powder coat wheels.

You buggered if you scrape them as the whole wheel needs re doing as it cant be spot repaired like paint and secondly they are some nasty threads on some wheels breaking apart after being powder coated

Oops - just read whole post and realised this isn't what you wanted.

I'll leave it up anyway as 6 hours cleaning needs to be shown off sometimes. :blush:

No thanks for the pics, your ZED looks really good......hope my wheels looks as good when done.

Don't know if it will be as polished and shiny as yours but sure it will look great :teeth:

Looking at getting this done myself, not sure if to stay original or go something different.

Quite like the satin black and have had gunmetal suggested.

Any other pics of different colours ?

Picked mine up last night got home quite late and it was dark but I think they look awesome, taking them to my mates garage where the ZED is being stored to put them on today or tomorrow.

Will post some pictures....... I am really happy with the finish

Cheers Lars