Squeaky brake, completely baffled......help please

glrnet

Guys,

2004 GT Brembo Manual

Help please.

Here's the story, about 400 miles ago, maybe less, I changed all brake pads and replaced them with EBC reds, since then at very low speed and light braking I have a horribly annoying squeak from the offside rear, all others are fine. The squeak does not appear at at any other time!!! :wacko: I used copper grease on every pad and I took the rears off yesterday and re-greased just to be sure and it still squeaks!! I also gave the rear pads a gentle rub with fine emery paper as they did have a "glazed" look to them. There is a strange peculiarity to the tale though - when I changed the pads there were no shims on the front sets and I have left them off (rightly or wrongly) and I'm sure there are opinions ref this. There WERE shims on the rear and I replaced them with new ones.

1 Should there be shims all round or not?

2 Would shims cause the problem?

3 Should copper grease be applied more liberally?

The answers to these questions and any other advice would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

G :)

I also have squealing issues which I hope to cure today. I also noticed the lack of shims on the front pads so I took off the shim looking material off the back of the front pads and used them on my new pads. I hope that ooober amounts of copper grease will resolve the problem.

My brakes only squeal after the brakes are warm although apply more pressure to braking and the squealing goes away. I will see the results hopefully after the re-grease

I feel so much better now I am not alone :lol:

Ditto with the pressure applied and the squeak vanishes tho :)

I also have squealing issues which I hope to cure today. I also noticed the lack of shims on the front pads so I took off the shim looking material off the back of the front pads and used them on my new pads. I hope that ooober amounts of copper grease will resolve the problem.

My brakes only squeal after the brakes are warm although apply more pressure to braking and the squealing goes away. I will see the results hopefully after the re-grease

Doesn't the compound on ebc red take a bit of heat to actually get to temperature? Otherwise, is it possible on normal driving all you're doing is leaving some of the compound on the discs?

Get a tiny bit of squeaking from the dixcel z rated pads also, which goes away with getting them a bit warmer.

My brakes are squealing something rotten at the moment ...

It's only the front passenger side brake from what I can tell ... The difference is that mine is constant!

It started out similar to yours with it only being noticable when lightly braking ... but now is Really Loud!

I'm waiting to have them looked at ... It's actually quite embarrasing driving around with such a loud squeal!

Have you guys checked this thread out (see last post):

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=34313&hilit=shims

and ZMANALEX has an ultimate solution..........

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28634&hilit=shims

but also some good advice:

The brake pad shims are there for numerous reasons and should be refitted when brake pads are changed.

On the UK Brembo set up the oem pads have shims fitted to the rear of the pads but there is also a floating shim that should be refitted.

Just simply tell the garage to reuse the existing floating shims.

The "how stuff works" link will explain it further. Please read both pages as the second page relates to heat dispensation and heat shield issues.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... -shims.htm

Alex.

Okay I have now re-greased my front pads. Let's just say it's 90% better although from my first application of copper grease when the new pads first went on had totally disappeared. I therefore whacked a load of grease on. I still get a squeal but this could be from my rear pads which I will do tomorrow as I can't be bothered to do them now, it's hard work you know :lol:

If the squealing comes back to the fronts I lost for solutions.

It may be the case that performance friction pads love to squeal????