Cracked Rota rim

ug45cwb

Front drivers side tyre was going flat overnight. Took it to kwik fit, revealed there to be a pretty substantial crack in the rim. Anyone got any advice on what to do? Will it be covered under warranty? If not, am I better off getting it repaired or replaced?

its a 19" Rota GTR about 8 months old.

Cheers

Approach rota mate if nothing else...

rota direct is going to be your best bet, as long as you've got a reciept from envy they should play ball, you could even say to em what's gonna stop the rest from cracking and get a complete new set.

We have now been contacted direct :) We'll get it sorted one way or another.

Wheels do not crack for no reason, especially seriously enough to let air out! We hope to get the wheel back here and investigate. If a material defect is present we'll replace it under warranty, if it's been hit while there's a flat tyre or something I am still confident we can come to an arrangement everybody will be happy with :)

If it's a crack that's happened by itself with no impact damage it'll be a first ;)

I have heard of Rota's cracking when they are baked during the powder coating process.

This is not Rota specific, this is all alloy wheels, but especially light ones. Some powder coaters use extreme temperatures for extended periods, this ages the alloy and negatively effects the strength properties required for it to be a useful wheel :)

So many things are possible to damage a wheel. Low tyre pressure and hitting a speed bump hard wont do them favours.

Most catastrophic failures are due to crashes, not really the wheel's fault. The thing is you get a picture of the wheel posted, and a rant about their broken wheel, but no mention of the owner running out of talent at 60 and flattening a lamp post...

My personal favourite was a customer here, got his wife to call and claim her husband had a small off, and wanted a wheel replaced under warranty. It later transpired when we found the post and pics on the forum the wheel was indeed damaged, but still attached and the tyre still inflated, but the wheel was a good 450mm further back towards the passenger seat than Subaru had intended :D

The thing is if they'd just have come clean we'd have felt sorry for them and probably helped out with much more of a deal than if we found people trying to pull a fast one... that sort of things tends to effect how generous we feel ;)

I would also like to add I am not aiming this at the OP or anybody else, just telling tales and explaining how things work :)

I have heard lots of stories of Rota wheels breaking, seems you have to buy a rabbits foot at the same time as purchasing the wheels.

Show me some evidence so I can refute it... I do not know of a single case of a wheel failing without a very good reason, such as a significant crash.

Recently Driftworks has a bit of a coming together of both of their cars at speed...

They wished the wheels weren't so tough, they're fine, but the subframe is now bent and some bodywork needed ;)

ahh the age old game of rota bashing, often played by those who payed premium for a wheel and don't like it when someone gets something that looks nice for half the price. :lol:

often with stories of, " i was driving my car when my rota just fell apart" when translated properly it actually means, i was driving like a tit and clipped the curb at 100 miles an hour and my wheel broke.

regardless of manufacturer if you hit a wheel hard enough it will break.

i did love the rare rims "album of shame" for other manufactures made me chuckle :lol:

many people run rotas as track wheels because they are cheap. if you break one it wont cost as much to replace.

hope you get it all sorted; and don't listen to the scare mongering of others, everyone seems to know a friend of a friend who had rotas that broke, never actually met anyone who has suffered this issue.

They have been great so far. Rang them at 4.30 explaining the problem, guy asked me to send him a pic so I did. Got a reply 10 mins later. Hopefully will have it sorted soon.

World apart from my solicitors who take at least 3 days to do anything, including forward an email :angry::angry::angry:

I have heard lots of stories of Rota wheels breaking, seems you have to buy a rabbits foot at the same time as purchasing the wheels.

Show me some evidence so I can refute it... I do not know of a single case of a wheel failing without a very good reason, such as a significant crash.

Recently Driftworks has a bit of a coming together of both of their cars at speed...

They wished the wheels weren't so tough, they're fine, but the subframe is now bent and some bodywork needed ;)

Thats good, they are just stories after all and I have no first hand knowledge of the matter. There are people in the third gen rx7 scene that really do hate them though, but I do not know the full circumstances of every story so it wouldn't put me off buying them to be honest.

ahh the age old game of rota bashing, often played by those who payed premium for a wheel and don't like it when someone gets something that looks nice for half the price. :lol:

often with stories of, " i was driving my car when my rota just fell apart" when translated properly it actually means, i was driving like a tit and clipped the curb at 100 miles an hour and my wheel broke.

regardless of manufacturer if you hit a wheel hard enough it will break.

i did love the rare rims "album of shame" for other manufactures made me chuckle :lol:

many people run rotas as track wheels because they are cheap. if you break one it wont cost as much to replace.

hope you get it all sorted; and don't listen to the scare mongering of others, everyone seems to know a friend of a friend who had rotas that broke, never actually met anyone who has suffered this issue.

LOL!!! :lol:

First hand or on this wonderful thing we call the interweb?

EDIT: Sorry, shoudl have read the rest of the thread before asking that. :lol:

Thats good, they are just stories after all and I have no first hand knowledge of the matter. There are people in the third gen rx7 scene that really do hate them though, but I do not know the full circumstances of every story so it wouldn't put me off buying them to be honest.

Some people dislike them because they look similar to JDM wheels, that generally the reason for the hate.

Thing is they're not identical, just similar, unlike the various replica wheels you can get. Rotas do not pretend to be anything they're not ;)

Equally, for me personally it's a no-brainer. Rota Torques actually weigh less than the same sizes Work Emotion Kai... I know this as we have both here and weighed them side by side. Why would you buy the expensive one? It's all about badge...

Badge appeal makes me chuckle, when I have somebody with a Honda Civic slating out products, but drive a car that's certainly no BMW or Mercedes, but act like it's a personal insult to put a Rota on their premium super Civic :D

I think I am going to get some of these, but with a JDM Tyte Yo badge :D

AdBMWshit.jpg