Nismo zorst banned?? Welcome to the nanny state.

mugwump

Spoke to a dealer over the weekend, they told me that nissan would no longer supply the Nismo exhaust to the UK because it does not meet EU noise regulations.

Clearly this does not stop you importing one from overseas.

I also do not know what this means with regards the legality of fitting a Nismo exhaust, I would guess nothing as legislation such as this cannot be retrospectivley applied, but any new cars could not be fitted with one as a dealer option.

I do believe that the police can stop and check you if your exhaust is deemed too noisy, this was certainly my experience with motorcycles, but I have no idea what the limit is or if it is subjective.....

A number of manufacturers have started to fit exhaust butterflies to "avoid" the issue, particularly people like Aston Martin, as they can tune the exhaust to behave quietly to pass the test but still make a nice "noise" outside of that environment. However I hear that the legislation is under review to stop even this!

By the way, I am no lawyer, nor am I authoritative but I can direct you to reasonable sources for all of the above.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware this has always been the case since the Z was launched in the UK.

Nissan UK would have liked to offered the Nismo exhaust as an option/accessory, but it couldn't pass the EU drive-by noise regulations, so Nissan UK couldn't legally offer it for road use.

Nismo silencer is not road legal, no BS marking or latest Eu marks... wont stop it passing an MOT though so long as the tester thinks it is making a similar noise level to standard system... police can take action against noisy exhausts :)

How do they determine a noisy zorst??? Max rpm???

Nismo silencer is not road legal, no BS marking or latest Eu marks... wont stop it passing an MOT though so long as the tester thinks it is making a similar noise level to standard system... police can take action against noisy exhausts :)

How do they determine a noisy zorst??? Max rpm???

Down to individual( ie catch him on a good day )

Yup - its a joke of a system.

You can't judge noise by ear as everyones different. There is only 1 way and that by a sound meter. If an officer thinks its excessivly nosy they should get a meter taken out to measure it none of this "I think its noisy" bollocks.

I would say there are many many more bikes out there with illegal exhausts than cars

Yup - its a joke of a system.

You can't judge noise by ear as everyones different. There is only 1 way and that by a sound meter. If an officer thinks its excessivly nosy they should get a meter taken out to measure it none of this "I think its noisy" bollocks.

I would say there are many many more bikes out there with illegal exhausts than cars

Virtually ever bike... I have a decibel meter at work if theres ever an argument about the noise levels on a bike presented for MOT :thumbs:

so what you waiting for to measure your Nismo + HF cats then? :p

PS Winged Rodent is correct :)

Decible readings from my car...fitted with Nismo exhaust, Kinetix Hi Flo cats and Kinetix V+ plenum also PiperCross induction kit

at tickover ....78db

at 3000rpm ....86db

at 5000 rpm....102db..... loud this is not a true reading as to get that you need to take readings away from buildings, other cars ,structures etc, to minimise rebound sound..but a good indication

decibel001.jpg

Good results then Tim :thumbs:

Yes . might bring it to the Wales Run out see who has the loudest :teeth:

How was the test conducted mate??? Is it technical or just a case of popping the meter out the window :blush:

nothing technical mate , just switch it on and point it at the exhaust pipe ;) got to be simple for me to use it :D

How was the test conducted mate??? Is it technical or just a case of popping the meter out the window :blush:

nothing technical mate , just switch it on and point it at the exhaust pipe ;) got to be simple for me to use it :D

Cool :)

My guess is more db's would be produced with the girl movin :scare:

Guest prescience

Tim, you know as well as I do that there are prescribed distances for conducting noise tests - inverse sqaure law and all that.

Did you follow them during the above?