Popcharger loss of power

kevlo

Hi guys and girls, ive been doing abit of research using the SEARCH button. I have read various threads with people slating the pop charger because it loses power but i cant find actual figures.

how much power are we talking? i have heard 3-4 bhp but i cant find the post now. has anyone actually got proof of this loss of power and can you tell me how much?

if it is 3-4bhp then i'll do it cos i doubt ill even notice.

thanks in advance

kev

difficult to say hence you wont find figures, you would need to install it between two dyno runs to see dyno figures for it. but this isnt representative; the pop chargers main downfall is heat soak, which isnt accurately represented on a dyno as the airflow is all wrong. so its an arse dyno job im afraid.

Noticed a huge difference last year when i put my standard airbox back on after having a pop-charger on for a year. Car felt it had much more power and felt more lively :wacko:

What about the throttle response? The first thing I noticed when I got my PC was the greatly improved and snappier throttle response.

A bit like kevlo I can stand a few hp missing as I'll never really notice it, but it's the throttle response that interests me. Did that change noticeably?

For heat-soak, I don't really understand that argument as I'm using the same main intake pipe, same MAF collar and the filter element doesn't get warm if I check it after a drive. Ok so in traffic maybe I suck in more warm air but who needs 250bhp+ in traffic and warm air means less power because you use less fuel which is pretty handy in traffic :p . I do have a cold air intake but I can't say I noticed that doing much to be fair, even on long trips.

Noticed a huge difference last year when i put my standard airbox back on after having a pop-charger on for a year. Car felt it had much more power and felt more lively :wacko:

What about the throttle response? The first thing I noticed when I got my PC was the greatly improved and snappier throttle response.

A bit like kevlo I can stand a few hp missing as I'll never really notice it, but it's the throttle response that interests me. Did that change noticeably?

I think the PC is better at first and it does feel snappier but i think the ecu gradually reduces this when it alters itself to suit. When i put my original airbox back on late last year for the photoshoot the car felt brilliant. But since then i have put the PC back if only for the noise :blush: . Overall i think the throttle response is the same on either. :)

The main influence with most induction kits is going to be where they draw the air supply from, if its short and in the upper engine bay it will draw hot air, and so performance will suffer, a shroud will do very Little to prevent this, if its boxed in completely with a sealed cold air feed from say low on the bumper it will be much better, long intakes with the filter tucked behind the bumper will also be better, provided they are not directly subject to road water.

All types will suffer from heat soak when going slowly or stuck in traffic, but they will all cool once there is a good airflow going through them, there is also a lot of bull talked about material's, yes metal will perhaps pick up heat quicker them plastic, however all material's will heat up and retain the ambient under bonnet temps once on the move all will be equal.

Quite frankly once the ECU map is optimized for the pop charger I cannot see the difference being very substantial at all.

Certainly a noticeable difference on mine from my experience :)

Yes but don't you miss that awesome noise?

No because i have the PC on as i have said above ;)

Quite frankly once the ECU map is optimized for the pop charger I cannot see the difference being very substantial at all.

Certainly a noticeable difference on mine from my experience :)

Yes but don't you miss that awesome noise?

No because i have the PC on as i have said above ;)

Ahh sorry, I didn't see that. :wacko: